APS teaser post, something very big, very fast, very powerful and very precise!

On your APS Raptor LRSS rifle , as shown in that photograph , I hope that the photographer did not turn away from the rifle for more than a few seconds , or that rifle will never be found again . The camo paint job is a PERFECT match to the earth , rocks , and grass where the rifle was placed for the photo .
SPECTACULAR !!

ya it turned out pretty slick. It would be an easy one to loose track of!!

I can't wait to see what the changes we did to the 458 target bullets do. Sorry about that! The rifle is spectacular!

Working on another ogive design that is looking like a winner in the hunting line of bullets. Should translate to the target bullet too.

me too!! Your he ones making this crazy dream of mine possible and greatly appreciate the partnership. For anyone out there, if you have not yet looked into hammer bullets, they are extremely unique and impressive bullets. Look into them.

How much does it cost per shot to feed the 458AM? Looks like an expensive child to feed 😆

first off, for the time being you would need to form your own brass which is easy. Buy a pound of unique powder, a couple pounds of plain yellow corn meal and a couple rolls of TP and some primers and your ready to go.

very easy to do. I may tool up to offer formed brass for these down the road but thats a significant investment when dealing with bmg class cases.

So brass finished cost is a bit up in the air right now with the final bullet price and i will not speak for Brian and Steve on their bullet prices but will say their pricing is always competitive with other bullets of similar design.

RWS brass is $4.35 per case + shipping. Primers around $0.35 each. Powder will burnt at a rate of around 260-280 grains per shot so just depends on what powder you use for powder cost. Around 25 rounds per pound of powder.

however, once you get the brass, the loads i recommend will allow at least 8 firings per case, usually 10 firings per case so if you figure brass cost over the life of the brass, will be less then $0.50 per shot for brass cost.

honestly, cost to shoot these rifles will really be no different then shooting any top end ammo in a 50 bmg.

@Fiftydriver

Any updates? Sounds like an incredible round!
This is actually an old post. I decided to drop the old design of the 458 AM and redesigned it to use the full length RWS BMG case compared to the shortened design used for the original 458 AM. This decision was made for two reasons, mainly, it was proven that when using the heavy weight 458 cal projos, the extra case capacity was very usible. Plus, dramatically eases the case forming process.

below is a pic showing a full length BMG parent case on the left, RWS case necked down to 458 cal to position the new shoulder in proper location for fireforming and a fireformed 458 Maximus case. The old version would have been roughly 0.250" shorter in overall case length. Little guy on the right is a 300 win mag for reference.

A3BC42F3-E5E7-4D05-A25C-8D6FA1EE06AC.jpeg

forming process is as easy as necking down with one pass for proper fit in chamber, load with a special fireforming load using handgun powder and i prefer 5 minute instant grits to fill the case, then compress a 1/4 sheet of double ply TP wad into the case neck to hold everything in place. Clean off case, load and shoot(with brake removed). Very simple and much more affordable then live fire fireforming which does not work all that will with this dramatic of a case volume increase.

7807265A-1BD1-4846-B8B5-06FAD43B6716.jpeg

Last one i built was tested with the then relative new 700 gr Lazer from cutting edge and it worked extremely well. That was in one of my mid weight custom AR50A1 Armalite rifles.

8FF41C5D-6A1C-4100-9C7B-309C18DDF55A.jpeg

broke 3100 fps pretty easily with the 700 gr Lazer

she is fully developed, fully tested and been ready for order for quite some time now. Beast of a combo.