April Hammer Bullet of the month

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-143g-lever-hammer/

It only seems fitting to make the 143g Lever Hammer the bullet of the month since it is going to be my primary projectile for the upcoming South Africa plains game hunt. Maybe not too special for you long range guys but the way I see it long range is defined by the individual and what tools are being used. On Friday's range session to finalize our loads for the safari I was able to bang the 10" gong consistently at 200y by setting it on top of the front sight. This put me nicely on the bottom half of the gong. With a muzzle vel of 2530 fps this is a very doable long range shot for the old 30-30.

Here is the load specs for my Marlin model 336 30-30.

Winchester brass
Hammer 143g Lever Hammer
CFE-223 @ 39g (top end, back off and work up)
F210m
2.550" col
2530 avg velocity

So any of you that have thought about breaking out the old 30-30, now is a good time. I was surprised how much I enjoyed shooting the lever action with the open sights. Banging the 200y steel was as much fun as banging 1000 yards with the high power rifles. The 143g Lever Hammers are on sale the rest of the month 10% off.

I'll be posting on game results here while we are on the safari. hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/1727/2021-hammer-safari

hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-143g-lever-hammer/

It only seems fitting to make the 143g Lever Hammer the bullet of the month since it is going to be my primary projectile for the upcoming South Africa plains game hunt. Maybe not too special for you long range guys but the way I see it long range is defined by the individual and what tools are being used. On Friday's range session to finalize our loads for the safari I was able to bang the 10" gong consistently at 200y by setting it on top of the front sight. This put me nicely on the bottom half of the gong. With a muzzle vel of 2530 fps this is a very doable long range shot for the old 30-30.

Here is the load specs for my Marlin model 336 30-30.

Winchester brass
Hammer 143g Lever Hammer
CFE-223 @ 39g (top end, back off and work up)
F210m
2.550" col
2530 avg velocity

So any of you that have thought about breaking out the old 30-30, now is a good time. I was surprised how much I enjoyed shooting the lever action with the open sights. Banging the 200y steel was as much fun as banging 1000 yards with the high power rifles. The 143g Lever Hammers are on sale the rest of the month 10% off.

I'll be posting on game results here while we are on the safari. hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/1727/2021-hammer-safari
That's freaking Awesome

I have a 308 Marlin Express that I can't hunt with in California because I can't find lead free ammo. This would be fast (for a lever action carbine) out of my rifle. 2750+. Nice creation and thank you! I now have options again.
I have used Barnes 30-30 bullets in the past for lead free in my 308 marlin express with good results, though I think this would be a better option