Applied low Bc for hammers?

snox801

Ok so I'm always a fan of applied ballistics. Usually I need only slight tweak to bc to match my drops. With that said I've found all the hammers they have in the library to be very low and not accurate.
Seems I find it more ch closer to the hammer sites bc than applied. Which is usually the exact opposite applied is usually much closer than the bullet maker. Anyone else seen this? Dont have this with cutting edge, horandy, or nosler.

I've seen the same thing the one time that I checked a bullet the AB had, most of the time they haven't tested the bullets that I shoot. At the time I recall reading an explanation online that it had something to do with AB's testing protocol. I believe they average the BC all the way down to the speed of sound, at which point the open nose of the Hammer's has a disproportionately negative effect on the average BC. Hammer's listed BC's are measured at a different, arguably more realistic, velocity (for a bullet that isn't designed specifically as a LR Bullet)

So I start by running them out to 400 which ends up close to what hammer has listed. Then all my others run out to 1300.
But I'm seeing massive difference with the 214. Yesterday it showed a 6" difference at 400. I thought I did something on the first shot so sent another same 6" high impact. Edited the bc to hammer it was close.
Applied a drop said 5.8 moa. Up at 400 only needed 4.25. Thats a huge difference. I am hoping it's something in the software they have that was a glitch. I've had all applied bc be very low for hammers. But this was extreme.
It does appear to be that they run them incredibly far out and do just one bc.
Wish they would do a hunting bullet bc and just pick a standard low FPS say 1800 and do it that way. I originally purchased applied because of the bullet library but heck this is so far off I could guess and be closer.

So I start by running them out to 400 which ends up close to what hammer has listed. Then all my others run out to 1300.
But I'm seeing massive difference with the 214. Yesterday it showed a 6" difference at 400. I thought I did something on the first shot so sent another same 6" high impact. Edited the bc to hammer it was close.
Applied a drop said 5.8 moa. Up at 400 only needed 4.25. Thats a huge difference. I am hoping it's something in the software they have that was a glitch. I've had all applied bc be very low for hammers. But this was extreme.
Wish they would do a hunting bullet bc and just pick a standard low FPS say 1800 and do it that way. I originally purchased applied because of the bullet library but heck this is so far off I could guess and be closer.
What is your MV ?

So what I am taking from this is that the BC listed by Hammer is closer? I haven't gotten to test mine at distance yet, so I find this interesting.

If ur inside of 800yards stop fiddling with the bc and adjust muzzle velocity, after 800 adjust the bc to either shorten or lengthen the curve

If ur inside of 800yards stop fiddling with the bc and adjust muzzle velocity, after 800 adjust the bc to either shorten or lengthen the curve
That makes zero sense. I have a measurable data point in the FPS. If I was to take the FPS and change that I would be chasing my tail at long range. This is all a math problem and if we put in know data at the wrong value how would that help? I guess what I'm getting at is applied seems to vastly under rate hammers bc. If I was to adjust my FPS to match a 6" difference at 400 could you imagine what it would do at 1k. I've always had great luck find a bc that matches at 400 and it's very close and easy to make small adjustments t distance.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

That makes zero sense. I have a measurable data point in the FPS. If I was to take the FPS and change that I would be chasing my tail at long range. This is all a math problem and if we put in know data at the wrong value how would that help? I guess what I'm getting at is applied seems to vastly under rate hammers bc. If I was to adjust my FPS to match a 6" difference at 400 could you imagine what it would do at 1k. I've always had great luck find a bc that matches at 400 and it's very close and easy to make small adjustments t distance.
Besides the multitude of other issues that might have you off 6" at 400yards, let's say it's just the bc, did hammers advertised bc correct your zero at 400? I doubt it, it's takes a horrendous amount of bc adjustment at that range. I bet you can double ur g7 value and it won't move ur zero 1.5moa.
First step is double check ur zero.
Second step is check scopes tracking
Those still line up reshoot at 400, adjust ur mv to the drops, shoot at 600, tweak ur muzzle velocity, at 800 u will be close, tweak ur bc and mv so curve still matches earlier drops, at 1000 and 1300 tweak ur bc.
Bc is a degrading value as the bullet loses velocity and all bullets degrade differently, using the proper bc for your application is what will determine a successful drop chart.
But Goodluck

None of the ballistic apps, Quick Load or AB has a grasp on the Hammers yet, This is a common problem we have found

Recent Posts