Applied Ballistics Pro Support Thread

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I can request a feature for the next Kestrel 4500NV AB firmware update?

A few optics that me and my friends have use either 0.5cm (hensoldt) or 0.25cm (12-50x pm2) clicks. It isn't possible to enter these figures into the click value as it only lets you go down as small as 0.1 MRAD/1CM. Would this be possible in future software updates?

Thanks

Al

I just recently bought Applied Ballistics for my android phone, but have been tearing my hair out trying to get the "look angle" option to automatically calculate my shot angle. There only seems to be the option to manually input the angle, but no way for the phone/app combo to calculate it.

Hit the menu button, mine looks like three little boxes in a vertical line at the bottom center or top RH corner of the screen, then select get look angle and you can choose start timer or hold.

Could someone tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong to keep getting the wrong zero on the ballistics table? If I put in a 200 yard zero, it will show a little high at 200 and zeroed past that, somewhere around 240, or so. If I zero at 100, with a zero height of 1 inch, it will show that I am over an inch high at 100. For the table to show the zero I want, I have to input a shorter zero range or zero height than that. I've gone through everything and I've been reading the stickies. Can't figure it out. This is the ap on my iPhone, if it matters.

Could someone tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong to keep getting the wrong zero on the ballistics table? If I put in a 200 yard zero, it will show a little high at 200 and zeroed past that, somewhere around 240, or so. If I zero at 100, with a zero height of 1 inch, it will show that I am over an inch high at 100. For the table to show the zero I want, I have to input a shorter zero range or zero height than that. I've gone through everything and I've been reading the stickies. Can't figure it out. This is the ap on my iPhone, if it matters.

Change your wind to 6 or 12 oclock and see if this changes what you see. I believe you are seeing aerodynamic jump, which would be noticeable if your zero shift changes when you change the winds speed or direction. The app is working correctly if this is the case.

It sure enough is. Thanks, Doc.

What you said made sense, so I just brought the wind speed to zero. What I had entered for my zero showed on the ballistic table. I also remember, now, about reading that portion of Bryan's book, so everything makes sense. I appreciate the help.

Applied Ballistics Calibration and Drop Sale Factor with Inclination- Help Please

I was calibrating a rifle/ammo combination in the subsonic range and have a question. Inclination to target was +4.3. At 3085 yards I was able to establish a calculated DSF of 1.016 at Mach .911. When changing inclination from 4.3 to 0 the elevation difference was approximately .5MOA. Is inclination accounted for in the AB DSF calibration features? I'm assuming yes as inclination is accounted for when using the true drop during calibration then adjusting the velocity accordingly to match the drop.

For example with DSF calibration, if calibrating for a range of 3000 yards with an inclination of +4.3 using the data already established in my solver, the elevation requires 108.1 MOA. If changing the inclination to 0 the elevation requires 108.5 MOA. The computed DSF difference between a calibration range of 3000 with true drop of 108.5 and 108.1 is .004. (calculated DSF of 1.004 for 108.5 true drop MOA and calculated DSF of 1.000 for 108.1 true drop MOA).

I conducted an internet search and was unable to find a topic on this. I'm posting here as others may have the same or similar question.

Thanks much for the response.

Last edited:
Hi Doc,
What's new in the AB Kestrel 4.89 firmware?
Best wishes,
Bill

Their was an error in how data was logged when the unit was turned off (The Kestrel Device continues to log atmospherics when you turn it off, at an interval you set in the settings). This involved the compass, and only when the unit was off.

Their was an error in how data was logged when the unit was turned off (The Kestrel Device continues to log atmospherics when you turn it off, at an interval you set in the settings). This involved the compass, and only when the unit was off.

Thanks Doc. I just installed it, but was initially unable to open the PDF directions with the explanation.

Hey, new Kestrel 4500 owner here.

I have some problems with calibrating MV. In detail: i shot the truing drop and told the Kestrel my data, it did calibrate MV and it told me my new MV, but it did not adopt the new data to range card. Although accepting new MV, there is the data calculated by software in range card and not the new one. Any ideas?

Another question: what is the reason for a big deviation between software data and shooting data?
E.g. For 1000 meters software says 8.5mils, but what i need is 10 mils.

Am i using the wrong BC for the bullet consequently?

Hey, new Kestrel 4500 owner here.

I have some problems with calibrating MV. In detail: i shot the truing drop and told the Kestrel my data, it did calibrate MV and it told me my new MV, but it did not adopt the new data to range card. Although accepting new MV, there is the data calculated by software in range card and not the new one. Any ideas?

Another question: what is the reason for a big deviation between software data and shooting data?
E.g. For 1000 meters software says 8.5mils, but what i need is 10 mils.

Am i using the wrong BC for the bullet consequently?

1. Are you using a G1/G7 or Custom Drag Curve?

2. How did you measure your MV?

3. Have you tried restarting the device, and making sure the MV was changed?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.