Applied Ballistics Pro Support Thread

Am I to understand that Android is "better" for mobile ABC than iphone, all things considered?

ABC on my iPhone is giving me fits. Downloaded latest update and drops are incorrect when using G7 bc and Sierra'so velocity dependent bc.

I'm feeling I am doing something incorrect but can't determine what or set up isn't proper or...

Usually a clean install fixes this, if you not you can email me the details on your device and I can submit it for review.

I went into the ballistics calibration as im assuming that is validation right? Anywho its asking to validate at 1500 plus and 3300 plus yards and thats just a little bit of a poke. Please help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-09-07-23-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-09-07-23-43.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 140
Elhunter1983,

These are the recommended ranges, for the optimum calibration. Part of this has to do with error resolution. If ranges are too close, or too close together you impose a lot of error. This is also because you need to do calibrations at Mach 1.2 and Mach 0.9. You can input ranges at other distances, and it will work. However you are more prone to error, among other issues. I suggest reading here: http://www.abmediaresources.com/BallisticCalibration.pdf

One of our guys was having some issues yesterday with AB Mobile for IOS. He downloaded the app, set up his rifle (2" Ht. over bore, mil/mil, 2536 fps MV measured with Oehler 35P); he's shooting 175 gr. Black Hills red box so we used the 175 SMK from the bullet library as the drag model. Looking at the data from the drag model, it stated a BC of 0.243 (which is the same as the 2500 fps G7 for that projectile from the bullet library in the book). When we pulled up the trajectory table, the firing solutions were WAY off (8.4 mils at 1000 yds.). Looking at remaining velocity, the program thought there should be over 1600 fps at 1000 yds (not realistic for a 20" .308) We fired on targets at known distances from 100-1000 yds in 100 yard increments and arrived at a firing solution of 11.7 mils at 1000 yds. So we trued MV at 1000 yards and the app gave us a new MV of around 2217 fps (again not a realistic solution given the gun and ammo), and looked at the drop table, the predicted come-ups for intermediate ranges were WAY off (like 1-2 mils off in either direction).

We used identical inputs to build the same profile in AB Mobile for Android, and built a control profile in ATRAG using a G1 of .470, and both of those platforms gave us close algorithms that only needed to be trued by less than a mil and resulted in accurate tables from 100-1000 yds.

Bottom Line: Is there a problem with AB Mobile on IOS that could be generating this issue?

Sorry for the info dump, thanks for your help!

One of our guys was having some issues yesterday with AB Mobile for IOS. He downloaded the app, set up his rifle (2" Ht. over bore, mil/mil, 2536 fps MV measured with Oehler 35P); he's shooting 175 gr. Black Hills red box so we used the 175 SMK from the bullet library as the drag model. Looking at the data from the drag model, it stated a BC of 0.243 (which is the same as the 2500 fps G7 for that projectile from the bullet library in the book). When we pulled up the trajectory table, the firing solutions were WAY off (8.4 mils at 1000 yds.). Looking at remaining velocity, the program thought there should be over 1600 fps at 1000 yds (not realistic for a 20" .308) We fired on targets at known distances from 100-1000 yds in 100 yard increments and arrived at a firing solution of 11.7 mils at 1000 yds. So we trued MV at 1000 yards and the app gave us a new MV of around 2217 fps (again not a realistic solution given the gun and ammo), and looked at the drop table, the predicted come-ups for intermediate ranges were WAY off (like 1-2 mils off in either direction).

We used identical inputs to build the same profile in AB Mobile for Android, and built a control profile in ATRAG using a G1 of .470, and both of those platforms gave us close algorithms that only needed to be trued by less than a mil and resulted in accurate tables from 100-1000 yds.

Bottom Line: Is there a problem with AB Mobile on IOS that could be generating this issue?

Sorry for the info dump, thanks for your help!

This is a problem with iOS, some users have been able to fix it by going back in to the ammo and switching to G1, saving, then switching back to G7. Others have had to do a clean install of the app. We are working right now on a patch for this.

I ordered applied ballistics for long-range shooting on Kindle. How do I get access to the bullet database? It is not in the book and no CD as if you bought the physical book.

The bullet database is a different book called Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets. If you send me an email I can get you a copy of the program that comes with that book. However the database you are asking about is a different book.

Just for the sake of consistency, how are you guys calculating altitude density? I have seen it done a few different ways and want it to be right for forst shot hits.

Just for the sake of consistency, how are you guys calculating altitude density? I have seen it done a few different ways and want it to be right for forst shot hits.

We have an app for that, the Applied Ballistics Toolbox.

Or you can get it directly off the Kestrel, Drop etc.

Simple question please !

I'm not sure if this is the thread too ask this question, so I'll keep it short !

I'm a normal game hunter/ paper plinker with the odd outings on metal targets in the 500 yard range,,, might step it up "Latter on down the road".

As a close range game harvester that normally takes down critters at 40 to 140 yards, and once in a while up too 300 + yards on a blue moon every 3 or 4 years do I need too know anything about BC & SD.

I've never used it in target shooting since the rifles and cartages with bullets are made by factories,,, so I'm guessing that this BC & SD have been worked out by book smart folk.

Question is,,, at what yardage do I need to take in account this BC & SD thing.

Been hunting for 40 years and had 1 deer escape me from bad shot placement at 90 ish yards, headed to the big bores after that too knock them down where they stand.

Does this BC & SD play a role I my close range harvests ? If so, where Do I find info on it/ or thread.

PS: I have done some reading of BC & SD, so I'm aware of what it means.

Thanks from Western Canada/ the Americas pal Don

Simple question please !

As a close range game harvester that normally takes down critters at 40 to 140 yards, and once in a while up too 300 + yards on a blue moon every 3 or 4 years do I need too know anything about BC & SD.

Question is,,, at what yardage do I need to take in account this BC & SD thing.

Been hunting for 40 years and had 1 deer escape me from bad shot placement at 90 ish yards, headed to the big bores after that too knock them down where they stand.

At the distances you mention and with your harvest record BC is useless information. The idea is to hit what you're shooting at where you want to hit it. Your doing that!

SD, to me, a bullet quality factor. The higher the better. If the bullet is doing its job it's SD is good enough.

When shooting at varying distances from 500 to the horizon and at varying elevations of thousands of feet, knowing "actual" BC is vital. Knowing actual barometric pressure is also vital.

Thanks for the feed back as it keeps me doing what has been working all along.

Perhaps the day will come "if" I change things up in the target shooting category as I explore different paths in fun shoot stuff.

Plan to keep game harvest up close is improving every year as I let the critters come to me. "If not, then they get a free pass till next encounter."

The time has come after 40+ years too thin out the collection of iron as I pick 3 old school rifles too rap up the remaining years.

1 for thick skin up close, same rifle to reach predators, 1 22 for furry pelts, and scatter rifle for feathers.

All old school stuff as it works for my needs.

Thanks for the heads up as I learn from others on what and where I need too focuse.

Pal Don from the Americas

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.