Applied Ballistics Pro Support Thread

I do not yet own a 4000 series Kestrel. I understand the idea of Density Altitude. I have been told that Density Altitude can and will vary both quickly and greatly as time passes. I have no actual experience. How great will DA vary over a 24 hour period of time in thousands of feet? How quickly will DA vary during a day that appears calm? How quickly will DA vary during a day when weather is changing? Please give me an estimate. I own an iMac. I cannot use the software included in my second edition of "Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting". Is an Apple version available? I have been using JBMBallistics. Greatly appreciate your time and effort answering questions.

iOS bugs?

I purchased AB today. Running it on an iPhone 5. Playing around with it I'm running into what appear to be bugs on the trajectory screens.

First it is not highlighting in red when the bullet goes subsonic like the screen shots show.

It looks like the Vortex PST EBR 1 2FP is in mils (the 1FP appears to be MOA)... but it's calculating in MOA. Or something else is going on that I'm not understanding. Meaning when I choose the 2FP reticle (FFP is checked) and tap the trajectory icon, 650y ends up being exactly 4mils. But when I go the reticle screen 4 mils is 303 yards and 650y is somewhere past the 10. I can get some screen shots if it will help

I tested the following reticles and these all seem to calculate correctly (meaning that 650y says it is at 4mils):
gen 2 xr
gap
mil dot
nf mlr
leupold tmr

Of course I actually have a Vortex Viper PST FFP(MRAD) on my rifle so I would REALLY like to see that work :D

As a feature request, on the HUD screen it would be nice to have the option of scrolling wheels kind of like you can get on the Bullet Flight "Calculate Simple" screen. Personally I find I either want the wheel option for speed or a full chart. But that's just me.

If I'm missing an option somewhere please enlighten me.

Thank you

ETA - Oh yeah, one other thing. On the ammo screen, I'm loading the 175gr SMK from the bullet library. Shouldn't the BC of the bullet change when you change your drag curves back and forth between G1 and G7?

Last edited:
As a feature request, on the HUD screen it would be nice to have the option of scrolling wheels kind of like you can get on the Bullet Flight "Calculate Simple" screen. Personally I find I either want the wheel option for speed or a full chart. But that's just me.

I'd second that. The current setup is pretty slow. Much cheaper apps have the scrolling wheels and that seems to work well.

Playing some more with the program, I'm comparing Shooter vs AB (which really should be giving pretty similar solutions right?) I'm using the exact same environmental data, using the Litz library info for 175gr SMK, and a muzzle velocity of 2681. Both using G7 curves etc etc

For a 700y shot, Shooter gives me a solution of 6.0 mils. Seems reasonable.

AB is giving me 2.4 mils???

The table is for some reason is *changing* my muzzle velocity to 3851 fps, when my weapon profile has 2681. I got nothing here. That's just weird.

Am I doing something wrong?

Playing some more with the program, I'm comparing Shooter vs AB (which really should be giving pretty similar solutions right?) I'm using the exact same environmental data, using the Litz library info for 175gr SMK, and a muzzle velocity of 2681. Both using G7 curves etc etc

For a 700y shot, Shooter gives me a solution of 6.0 mils. Seems reasonable.

AB is giving me 2.4 mils???

The table is for some reason is *changing* my muzzle velocity to 3851 fps, when my weapon profile has 2681. I got nothing here. That's just weird.

Am I doing something wrong?

Check to see what you have in "MV variation" and "powder temp" under edit ammunition....just a guess, but it sounds like you may have entered some bad info there.

If you haven't actually tested your powder for MV variation with changing temperatures...leave it blank...and with "MV variation" blank...powder temp becomes moot, so leave it blank too.

Check to see what you have in "MV variation" and "powder temp" under edit ammunition....just a guess, but it sounds like you may have entered some bad info there.

If you haven't actually tested your powder for MV variation with changing temperatures...leave it blank...and with "MV variation" blank...powder temp becomes moot, so leave it blank too.

Good call. I had put 26 into MV and left the powder temp blank. I misunderstood what that field was for, and had put my standard deviation in there.

Thanks

Doc, did you happen to see this post above? http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...support-thread-144312/index5.html#post1044904

Am I correct in seeing that some of these reticles are not mapping correctly?

I have seen it, in older version of the program, but I have not been able to re-create it with success in the current build I have. So I believe it has been properly corrected. Once we work out a couple more issues that were found, we will push this update. My apologies for the timing in getting it done, we are trying to make certain some things are fixed properly.

Kestrel Companion is now FREE to those who have bought a Kestrel with the Applied Ballistics Solver in it (AB or Sportsman Model) with Bluetooth.

This may be something that has already been covered...but a version of AB for Windows, both phones and touchscreen tablets, would be very nice...and probably a worthwhile venture.

I say this as the proud new owner of a very neat 2 in 1 type laptop/tablet that I believe would be a very welcome addition to my ballistics software arsenal....these 42 year old eyes don't read phones as easily as they once did.

I'm not thinking of lugging around a 13" tablet while hunting, lol...but it would be nice at the range...or maybe even stationary long range hunting.

Can't believe I just said that...lmao...hunting with a dang laptop...whats the world coming to.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.