Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting By Bryan Litz

ADMIN

Administrator
Once you've determined the approximate maximum lethal range of your selected rifle and bullet, it's important to understand the uncertainties involved which may cause you to miss your aimpoint. Accuracy is obviously a very important factor in long range hunting. Not only do you have to hit the animal, but you have to hit it in a vital area which is a small percentage of the animal's total size. If you are accurate enough and can reliably place shots within the small vital area of your target, you can effectively increase the lethal range with superior shot placement. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting, By Bryan Litz. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

This is just an example of Bryan's style of writing through out his book. If I can understand what he is saying anybody can. The book is well worth the money and the ballistics program cd that is included is also very good. Get the book and read it. He has also put a reference section in that gives you the BC for a majoity of the bullets that are out there from .224 to .338. this is very handy when comparing bullets.
Russ

Last edited:
Great article,
Though I was having trouble following the logic of the inital dispersion example wherein we have a 1 inch average group at 100 yards, but then a 5.7" group at 500 yds. Can someone shed some light on that for me?

Thanks

Jay

"According to the principles of bullet dispersion given in Chapter 11, we can extrapolate the group size from 100 yards to 500 yards based on the bullets time of flight. The bullets time of flight at 100 yards is 0.1084 seconds, and at 500 yards, it's 0.6154 seconds. Since the rifle is capable of grouping into 1 inch at 100 yards, we can expect the dispersion to produce a 500 yard group of: 1 inch times 0.6154/0.1084 = 5.7 inches minimum."

The way I under stand it is if you are thinking that the dispersion is angular,(I.E. one inch at 100yds would give you five inches at 500yds or 10 inches at 1000yds), its not angular but is related to the bullets time of flight. Sort of like which area of wind is most important at the muzzle or at the target. At least that is part of what I got from chapter 11 of the book. By no means am I an expert on any of this. Hope this helps. Maybe Bryan will chime in.
Russ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.