Applegate unit oregon

HANDLER

Anyone know a good starting point place for hunting the applegate unit the last 5 days of deer season,,,any good intel would be worth something,,I'm a comercial fisherman so I can deliver some tasty fish or crab on my way there for some help,,thanks

Anyone know a good starting point place for hunting the applegate unit the last 5 days of deer season,,,any good intel would be worth something,,I'm a comercial fisherman so I can deliver some tasty fish or crab on my way there for some help,,thanks

Nothin?????

Spokane Washington. I try to keep up with Oregon a bit as I have so many points. The Applegate isn't one I'm familiar with.

I'm in Grants Pass but I haven't really hunted the Applegate unit that much so I dont have any real honey holes to give you, I mainly hunt up around Prospect area. Any specific reason your looking at that unit? I will talk to some buddies and see if I can get some info for ya!

Jesse

I'm in Grants Pass but I haven't really hunted the Applegate unit that much so I dont have any real honey holes to give you, I mainly hunt up around Prospect area. Any specific reason your looking at that unit? I will talk to some buddies and see if I can get some info for ya!

Jesse

Cool thanks for the reply. Just looking to do a little travel with my daughter see some new sights. She has never seen a big redwood tree so if we go there we can take a day and go down at look at some of them. Just want to see some deer and have fun. Lookin for ground we can do lots of glassing. We're set up to shoot longrange if need be. Open to any suggestions on units too. Don't need to get a honey hole just a good starting point. I'm in Astoria and it's really brushy. Thanks

I shot a Roosevelt a bit north of you in Nasell-you have a gift for understatement. Definitely a reason to travel.

Lol,,I like the elk huntin here but the brush is brutal,,there's some nice bulls around nacelle,,a buddy just killed a nice big black horned 6x6 with a muzzle loader over there

Hunting in hip boots, and racing the tide to get them out makes it a unique experience also.

Winter coyotes, and spring sage rats on the east side are good experiences as well.

Here's a few places to start.
Panther gulch that heads up out of Williams has produced for us. It wraps around into Ferris gulch that will put you back out on Williams Hwy. Thompson Creek road has a couple of good access points. -Hinkle gulch and nine mile creek road. There's also Spencer Cr. road that is out of Murphy. Beaver Cr. road is also a good place too look to the east of Applegate.
Not a lot of long shots though. Hopefully the bucks will be running the does by then.

-Mike

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, buddies have been hard to track down...

Anyway, I got there go to spots for ya! These are in the Chetco Unit which is the other side of Hwy 199 if your headed down to see the Redwoods. There's been quite a few burns through this area and has really opened it up to glassing.

Chrome ridge (NF-2402) This is on pretty much all my buddies top list, in fact some kids just shot a VERY nice 5x5 up there this weekend. It seems like there are at least half a dozen nice deer taken from this area every year.

Swede Basin (NF-243 off of NF-25) This is a little smaller of an area that chrome but still has quite a few deer in it. Buddy shot a nice forked horn out of here on opening day.

Kalmiopsis Wilderness along the Illinois river rd area. This is a HUGE area that a fire burned though many years ago. Generally a pretty dry area but we are getting some rain right now. The deer typically stay up high and come down along the river road area at night. Lots of area to glass.

I dont know how many days you plan hunting but if you had one day to really devote to is I would suggest hitting the Chrome ridge area. There is a trail up there that you can walk out (Dutchy Creek Trail) that has alot of deer. Two of my buddies got deer on it last year.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Sorry its not in the Applegate unit, guess I have got some exploring to do myself!

Good luck!

Jesse

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, buddies have been hard to track down...

Anyway, I got there go to spots for ya! These are in the Chetco Unit which is the other side of Hwy 199 if your headed down to see the Redwoods. There's been quite a few burns through this area and has really opened it up to glassing.

Chrome ridge (NF-2402) This is on pretty much all my buddies top list, in fact some kids just shot a VERY nice 5x5 up there this weekend. It seems like there are at least half a dozen nice deer taken from this area every year.

Swede Basin (NF-243 off of NF-25) This is a little smaller of an area that chrome but still has quite a few deer in it. Buddy shot a nice forked horn out of here on opening day.

Kalmiopsis Wilderness along the Illinois river rd area. This is a HUGE area that a fire burned though many years ago. Generally a pretty dry area but we are getting some rain right now. The deer typically stay up high and come down along the river road area at night. Lots of area to glass.

I dont know how many days you plan hunting but if you had one day to really devote to is I would suggest hitting the Chrome ridge area. There is a trail up there that you can walk out (Dutchy Creek Trail) that has alot of deer. Two of my buddies got deer on it last year.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Sorry its not in the Applegate unit, guess I have got some exploring to do myself!

Good luck!

Jesse
Scored with my daughter ,,her first deer,,it was already wounded but good mercy kill,,grants pass area,,thanks for all the help guys appreciate it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 874
Here's a few places to start.
Panther gulch that heads up out of Williams has produced for us. It wraps around into Ferris gulch that will put you back out on Williams Hwy. Thompson Creek road has a couple of good access points. -Hinkle gulch and nine mile creek road. There's also Spencer Cr. road that is out of Murphy. Beaver Cr. road is also a good place too look to the east of Applegate.
Not a lot of long shots though. Hopefully the bucks will be running the does by then.

-Mike

Hey there Mike,

I'm heading out to Applegate this coming general season on the opening weekend. I am an inexperienced hunter so any current general advice would be greatly appreciated. In your experience do hunters have success in early October as the general rifle season opens up?

Thanks a lot sir!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts