Apparent Bad Shot Turns Out Good & Vice Versa

Double Naught Spy

Interesting contrast between shots on hogs during successive nights. I made a longer distance shot (230 yards) on a hog where the shot was low and did not go through the body as intended, but worked out great...

On the next night, I made a shot at a shorter distance (155 yards) that I thought was good, but did not have the intended result...

Excellent !!
Any thoughts on that spine shot that didn't drop ?
I have had heart shot bow pigs run over 1/4 mile uphill, toughest animal ....period.

edit
thanks for your video

Excellent !!
Any thoughts on that spine shot that didn't drop ?
I have had heart shot bow pigs run over 1/4 mile uphill, toughest animal ....period.

edit
thanks for your video

Specifically, the bullet did not directly damage the spinal cord, only clipping the bone about as distant to the cord as possible and still being part of the vertebra. The axis vertebra is the largest cervical vertebra and probably does the best job of shielding the spinal cord and I would guess that shielding helped protect it from the hydraulic shock (indirect damaging) of the close pass of the bullet. Then, of course, there was no hydrostatic shock shutting down the brain. Hydraulic shock and hydrostatic shock are great when then work to shut down the CNS, but aren't reliable at doing this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.