apoxy in chaote sniper stock?

stric9

i purchase a sendero in 300 rum and i'm wanting to make it in to a longrange hunter.i'm going to put a muzzle brake on it and i'm wanting to and as much weight as possible.
i've read some threads were someone bought the chaote sniper stock and apoxied lead shot in the butt snd forearm.

i have 2 questions
1. how do you keep it from falling out of the grip
2. what is the process do you put apoxy in the butt then add lead shot and back and forth until it's full.

if you have any insight i would appreciate any suggestions.
thanks

stric9

stric9,

As to your questions:

1 How does 'it' fall from the grip?
2 Sounds like way to much work to reduce recoil.

And why would you want to swap a sendero stock for a choate?

Here's my experience:
I added weight to the stock of a 338 Win to reduce recoil. Recoil reduced but I still wasn't about to shoot it prone.

I added a Holland QD brake and shooting all afternoon with 250s from the prone position was no problem.

THEN I learned that adding weight counteracts the effects of the brake (per fiftydriver's posts here). I now have a 10.8 pound semi-carry rifle that would have less recoil if I could get the lead out. The lead is poured in thus pretty much unremovable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'd reconsider the added weight except if you like the feel a little better but I don't quite see how a Choate could feel good.

BTW, my rifle rifle is now a 338 RUM and I don't anticipate any recoil problems.

Also, a Limbsaver recoil pad made as much difference as the added weight.

Get a good brake, Defensive Edge or Holland QD. Recoil will be a non issue. And stick w/the sendero stock.

I also trashed the scope that I had been using within 10 shots of switching to the brake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy

i thought that adding weight to the stock would help with reduce felt recoil.
i also read that you could add weight inside the butt of a sendero because the butt is hollow.
i still haven't purchased the chaote stock but i'm wanting more input.
the brake that i'm probably going to go with is a answerproducts brake.

stric9

adding weight to the gun will only help reduce recoil if you don't have a brake. if you have a brake, adding weight really won't make any difference in recoil. put the brake on first and try it. you might be surprized at how much different it feels when you shoot it.i would not recommend a brake that has holes on the bottom of it.

only buy a stock after you've shouldered one or better yet, shot a gun with that stock on it.

I would agree with Dave to some degree with his comments. Remember a brake basically acts as a deceleration device to the rifle. Reverse thruster if you will like on an airliner.

In trueth, the lighter a rifle is, the more effect you as the shooter will feel in the level of felt recoil. The reason is inertia of the rifle itself.

For a given load, in a given chambering with a certain brake, you will get X amount of felt recoil reduction in a certain weight right.

If you keep everything constant and increase the weight of the rifle, you will at times actually increase the felt recoil because once the heavier rifle get set into motion, it is effected less by the reverse force generated by the muzzle brake.

The brake will produce the same amount of force no matter what the rifle weights if all things are kept the same but the heavier rifle will be effected less by the brake then a lighter rifle will be.

Now this of course is all dependant on what chambering you are using. In the smaller rounds, shear rifle weight will go along way to reducing felt recoil. In a chambering large enough to really get a rifle moving under recoil, a heavy rifle will "Move" you farther then a light one because it is your shoulder that has to stop the rifle. Its a fine line but it is not really worth worrying about.

Simply put, if your going to have a brake fitted I would do that and possibly a recoil pad upgrade before I start adding alot of rifle weight unless stability in the bags or on bipod is a concern.

If shooting off a bipod, depending on which design you use, added weight can actually decrease the stability of the rifle system. If the bipod used can not support the weight solidly stability can actually get worse.

Just my opinion. If your going to go with a brake, I would not add any weight to the rifle.

One example of what I am talking about is my 7mm AM. I have built these in light 7-8 lb rifles and also in 18 to 20 lb rifles. All fitted with Holland QD or Defensive Edge brakes.

While none of them fitted with a brake have enough recoil to really mention. The light rifles actually give you the sensation of being pulled AWAY from your shoulder while the heavy rifles, with the added inertia and momentum in the rifle give you a more solid feeling bump in the shoulder. Just a matter of the ability of the brake to effect the momentum of the rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.