Aoudad Success

lhp63190

Boast Post. Recently got back from my first Aoudad hunt in west Texas. Was fortunate to harvest a 29" sheep that was broomed on both sides. 13.75 inch bases. Hunting partner spotted this sheep at just under 2 miles. By the time we closed the distance and popped our head over the ridge, he was under 500 yards and working his way towards us.

Gun/Load -- 28 Nosler. 180 Berger Hunting VLD.
SHOT -- 390 Yards. Sub 5 mph Wind. Impact Velocity 2630. Impact Energy 2750. Hit 1 inch behind crease.
Result -- Caliber wound going in. Golf ball size would through both lungs. Significant fragmentation through liver. Ran 70 yards (no blood) and fell over dead before I could get back on him. Bullet broke rib on exit and lodged just under offsite skin. Bullet retained 86.4 grains of original weight.

29" Broomed
Audad.PNG

Entrance Wound just behind crease

entrance.jpg

Exit Wound. Bullet lodge just under fat on offside
Offside.jpg

Retained bullet weight
86.4.jpg

Boast Post. Recently got back from my first Aoudad hunt in west Texas. Was fortunate to harvest a 29" sheep that was broomed on both sides. 13.75 inch bases. Hunting partner spotted this sheep at just under 2 miles. By the time we closed the distance and popped our head over the ridge, he was under 500 yards and working his way towards us.

SHOT -- 390 Yards. Sub 5 mph Wind. Impact Velocity 2630. Impact Energy 2750. Hit 1 inch behind crease.
Result -- Caliber wound going in. Golf ball size would through both lungs. Significant fragmentation through liver. Ran 70 yards (no blood) and fell over dead before I could get back on him. Bullet broke rib on exit and lodged just under offsite skin. Bullet retained 86.4 grains of original weight.

29" Broomed
View attachment 258721

View attachment 258722

View attachment 258723
Retained bullet weight
View attachment 258724
Woodja go and kill him fer? Didn't nobody go and tell ya I was a-comin' ta git him this here comin' up weekend?

Beeeeautiful animal. What kinda table fare do those critters make? In other words; do they taste good?

29" Broomed
View attachment 258721

View attachment 258722

View attachment 258723
Retained bullet weight
View attachment 258724
Congratulations that is a hunt I want to do myself since last year, still trying to put it together

DIY but hunting partner had a lot of experience. That being said, nobody had ever set foot on the ground before the hunt.
Ha! That's what you think. "Nobody had ever set foot on the ground before" I was there the day before you and your friend were there. I am the one that brushed that bad boy's beard and got him ready for you. I knew you liked chorizo and would only shoot the prettiest aoudad. Ha! I'm a sneaky little rascal.

Ha! That's what you think. "Nobody had ever set foot on the ground before" I was there the day before you and your friend were there. I am the one that brushed that bad boy's beard and got him ready for you. I knew you liked chorizo and would only shoot the prettiest aoudad. Ha! I'm a sneaky little rascal.
Bwhahaha. Nobody from my hunting crew then. There were lots of tracks from our neighbors to south north bounding.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.