Aoudad free range

Hunted with Mike's WTHO Team in Sierra Blanca, TX on October 14-15, 2020. Successful hunt for 32" Aoudad with 14.5" bases. I had a great time and would highly recommend this hunt for Aoudad. Beautiful country!

268FE156-09A7-4CB3-9817-315E7E75DA6E.jpeg

I have my name in the hat in New Mexico for an Aoudad but depending on my schedule I may and try something in Texas in the next couple of years.

I am looking at either a 6.5mm Creedmoor or a 6.5mm PRC as a new platofrm (currently have a 308), would these b sufficient or did you need something bigger? I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

FWIW, I shot a mature male aoudad at 275 yards with my 6.5CM, 140 gr Berger HT. Ran 10 yards and dropped. You really need to decide on distance. Under 500 yards, to be safe, the 6.5CM carries enough energy. Over that the 6.5PRC with a larger bullet would probably work better.
Aoudads are a great hunt.

Thanks for the reply swampbug. I am going to buy a new rifle (at potentially the worst time) for hunting and wanted to try and get the best bang for my buck. I can hunt locally (New Hampshire / Maine) with my 308 but wanted something that I could reach out a bit further with, been going back and forth between the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC.

I am going to be doing more hunting out west which is the impetus for the new rifle; aoudad, mulies, pronghorn, desert sheep (long shot) and elk.

I'm in TX. I love the 6.5CM. Shot pigs, wild sheep, aoudad, whitetail, axis, antelope, even turkey. Not going to get in the debate of shooting elk. Shoot steel out to 1,000 and farthest at 1,230. Great gun. Easy to handload. Lots of bullets to select from. Low recoil. Good factory ammo.
Tough decision between CM or PRC.
IMO, I would go PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.