Aoudad/Barbary Sheep???

Thanks for the fast feedback! Yea I have heard about the area around roswell. Unit 38 is one of the over the counter areas so I was thinking about checking out that area. I have hunted deer 4 years in a row in the past down by carlsbad, never saw one. I can imagine them being down there somewhere for sure. I will look into the roswell area first just because that is closer for me. My deer hunt this year will be in unit 37 which is near that area. If I bag a deer I may go scout that area. It seems like that area is chopped up between BLM and private land, so I can see why you mention ensuring to know the area prior to going in. Thanks for the feedback. Do they tend to hang out up high or down low? This is my first try at sheep so I am not familiar with hunting them.

Best I can remember, the area just East of the Diamond A Ranch, which is spotty BLM land has them. The road is about 20 miles off of the south end of Roswell, heading West that turns south through the Diamond A. It looks like mesa, but you drive in about 6-8 miles and they are there. Game and Fish will also help you here. That's how we found them about 10 years ago, a Game and Fish officer told us they were in the area.

This is True Free Range Aoudad hunting at its finest in far west Texas
z4.jpg

z5.jpg

westledge.jpg

z1.jpg

4d35inchramOctober2010.jpg

SANY0013.jpg

joshfohn.jpg

I agree, now thats real sheep countrygun)long shots though

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.