Aoudad/Barbary Sheep???

Great ram and great shot! Very nice looking rifle also. Did you use the 175 SMK? I have taken 4 rams, most about 27"-28", nothing as big as what you shot! Thay guy is a hog!

Thanks Capt. I am not sure I understand your question. I shoot a custom loaded round. The bullet is a Berger 30 cal 175 gr Match Hunting VLD. Website for it is below.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Hunting%20Bullets.html

I would encourage anyone to try an aoudad hunt sometime. I have never been hunting for big horn sheep, but I imagine that it is very much the same. Perhaps less expensive as well. The link below should take you to a pretty good discussion on hunting tips, etc. Bunch of us guys were just coming up with strategies and sharing ideas on trying to get a leg up on them. Its a long read, but may prove to be useful.

Aoudad Hunting

Last edited:
I have an auodad hunt booked for this coming Feb. 2011 in the Palo Dura Canyon area with Toby Joe truby as a guide. But, I am conflicted as to which rifle I want to hunt them with. I have a Rem. 700 Mountain rifle chambered in 260AI. I load 130 gr. Bergers that group great @ 100 yds. and shoot even great groups out to 500 yds. This 260AI was built by Darrel Holland in Powers, Oregon. Great shooter and I am very confident in its' abilities. I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle. I have posted this question on other websites only to be advised to take a larger caliber rifle. Now, I do have a Rem. 700 SPS in 300WSM that I load 180 gr. accubonds. This I took to South Africa to take 5 plainsgame animals. All 1 shot kills. It does shoot well to 300 yds. Beyond that I have little confidence. It is not a recoil issue. That has never been an issue with me. I am looking for input and opinions as to which rifle you all think would be most suitable for Barbary Sheep. Thanks in advance for all help in this request. MTG

I have an auodad hunt booked for this coming Feb. 2011 in the Palo Dura Canyon area with Toby Joe truby as a guide. But, I am conflicted as to which rifle I want to hunt them with. I have a Rem. 700 Mountain rifle chambered in 260AI. I load 130 gr. Bergers that group great @ 100 yds. and shoot even great groups out to 500 yds. This 260AI was built by Darrel Holland in Powers, Oregon. Great shooter and I am very confident in its' abilities. I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle. I have posted this question on other websites only to be advised to take a larger caliber rifle. Now, I do have a Rem. 700 SPS in 300WSM that I load 180 gr. accubonds. This I took to South Africa to take 5 plainsgame animals. All 1 shot kills. It does shoot well to 300 yds. Beyond that I have little confidence. It is not a recoil issue. That has never been an issue with me. I am looking for input and opinions as to which rifle you all think would be most suitable for Barbary Sheep. Thanks in advance for all help in this request. MTG

I would take the 260AI. Aoudad country is very rugged and every ounce counts and the 130 Berger will perform just fine.

Easy decision IMO. If they are free range aoudad in their natural habitat, you will likely only have one good shot at them. However, the most important reason you stated yourself. "I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle." I would take a rifle I was familiar with and confident in hunting over any larger caliber you were unsure of. Shot placement is the key. If I remember right, the best place to shoot an aoudad is the upper shoulder area, a tad bit higher where you would normally shoot a deer. Its either a tad bit higher..or a tad bit lower than where you would shoot a deer. I think its higher though.

Here is a link to a good post that discusses all kinds of things which are helpful in hunting them. Aoudad

Last edited:
Easy decision IMO. If they are free range aoudad in their natural habitat, you will likely only have one good shot at them. However, the most important reason you stated yourself. "I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle." I would take a rifle I was familiar with and confident in hunting over any larger caliber you were unsure of. Shot placement is the key. If I remember right, the best place to shoot an aoudad is the upper shoulder area, a tad bit higher where you would normally shoot a deer. Its either a tad bit higher..or a tad bit lower than where you would shoot a deer. I think its higher though.

Here is a link to a good post that discusses all kinds of things which are helpful in hunting them. Aoudad
i agree

WE have them on both ranches that i hunt on in west Texas. We are kill them off of the big ranch cause TPWL is going to put desert big horn back on it. but they won't if there is any aoudad around. We have been flying it and shooting them with 12GA with 00 buck. we have just about killed them all off of it. but we're going to let the ones on the smaller ranch be and maybe run hunt on them. i was up there this week and saw around a 100-150 with a bunch of the rams well over 30"

Well we don't flyem out in choppers with shotguns but there are some nice ones here in new mexico but you won't findem near a feeder either ide have to say its is the single hardest hunt in the southwest. Expect hours and hours of walking and glassing in the nastiest country you can imagine.

Well we don't flyem out in choppers with shotguns but there are some nice ones here in new mexico but you won't findem near a feeder either ide have to say its is the single hardest hunt in the southwest. Expect hours and hours of walking and glassing in the nastiest country you can imagine.
i have heard that they are around mills and down the canadian river over there, if only they would follow the river to texas.

From the sounds of it you guys are plagued with barbary why would they need to follow that river bud? Sounds like what we do have are more than welcome to these poor ole boys from new mexico

well, they are very few and far between on the red river but there isnt any on the canadian that i have ever heard about or seen. i dont know of any high fence ranches north of DFW. i am located up here in the desert, aka the panhandle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts