AO or Non AO

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 6MMWASP, Apr 6, 2010.

1. 6MMWASP

6MMWASP Well-Known Member

I am having a light 270 WSM built on a Jim Borden trued Remington 700 and looking at the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14. I see that they make one with AO and one without. This is going to be used for antelope and deer in open country out to 500-600 ( I know not long range to a lot of you guys) Would there be any real disadvantage to the non AO scope? It saves me a couple of Oz. and that is about all.
    Thanks

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Well-Known Member

Be careful with this decision.

The non AO has a fixed distance where there is supposed to be zero parallax, possibily about 150 yards or so. Either side of that there is no guarantee.

The AO will allow removal of parallax at any distance.

Even with an AO I usually, but not always, shoot with a smaller than full sight picture in the scope. It's a bit of a habit lingering from the old Leuy 3-9 that I used for 30+ years.:)

I don't think the few ounces are worth the risk.

3. topbrass

topbrass Well-Known Member

The only scope I own without an AO is the new Redfield Revolution 4-12x I just recently bought because I wanted to see what the glass looked like.

I really cannot think of a single reason to buy any scope without AO if you can get one with AO to fit your needs.

4. 6MMWASP

6MMWASP Well-Known Member

Thanks royinidaho and topbrass, I was just looking to save a few Oz. and a few $, Foolish, I just ordered the AO

Thanks again