Anyone wish they would have bought the NX8 4-32x50 over the 2.5-20?

I see the issue you're referring to now. What is your LOP? I've got about 14" and my neck is long so it's easy for me to get well into the eye relief area, and too close if I'm rushing things.
Thank you for taking the time to post those shots!!! I'm leaning towards 4-32 at this point.
I use the standard 13.5" LOP.

jbur13,
My Seekins Element is a short action.
BBC8A18D-29AE-43ED-B773-D251E8B3F958.jpeg
I have no issues with the optic.

I'm wondering the same thing. Had my eye on the 2.5x20 for about a year now but now considering the 4x32 because it is a bit longer and the mounting should allow a little more room. But I plan on mounting on a short action rifle so I don't know if I need the larger scope or not

I'm looking at getting the 4-32... have any of you guys had issues with it having a tight or unforgiving eyebox?
Yes
The 4-32 was the worst scope I've used in terms of tight eye box.
Also it had to be mounted way back i.e very close to my face in order to get proper eye relief.
The glass was really dissapointing as well

If you are looking for the ultimate all around hunting scope spend the coin on a March. I have the 2.5x25x52, could not ask for a better scope and it is 6 oz. lighter than either of the NF's being discussed.
Does the March have 2nd focal scopes? I don't really like the FFP which is why I have been looking at the NX8. I did not see any on March's website.

I'm going to buy a scope this week and wondering if anyone has wished they would have gotten the Nightforce NX8 4-32 over the 2.5-20?
Nightforce website says they are very close in weight but I see the 4-32 is over an inch longer. I like the compactness of the 2.5-20 but on those occasions that you need a little more power it might be nice. It's going on a 300 rum.
Or I could say, who owns a 2.5-20 and feels it's totally adequate for acquiring targets between 500 and a 1000Yds?
Thx-
I have usually preferred the highest magnification available. Can always turn down; won't notice much difference on low end between 2.5x and 4x Exception is for specific heavy timber, known short range rigs., then low power and open sights. High magnification is useful for glassing distant areas/target confirmation via a Phonescope smartphone/tablet style setup on the scope. Phone zoom even adds magnification range. Eliminates need to pack heavy spotting scopes and their associated tripod.......... rifle on first tripod for long range readiness taking shots.......and can scan without needing eyes right on scope or bino occular lenses reducing scanning fatigue.,,,,,and allows peripheral vision for alertness, better close situational awareness for close opportunities........and hopefully safety in nasty toothed territory. Just a really, really old guy's way who usually does things different from everyone else..........but that's where I made my money. YMMV :) :)

Last edited:
Yes. I own both NX8s and a March SFP 2.5-25x52 as well. What specifically do you want to know?
How's the glass between the two, also how do they compare for the eye box and paralax? They both track and hold zero dead nuts on?

I much prefer my 4-32 over my pards 2.5-20. Seems easier to get behind, can tell no difference in weight and the extra magnification is a huge plus for western hunting. And I don't have an issue w/ touchy parallax or tight eye box in the least. If you truly want something more compact the 2.5-25 March would be my pick over the 2.5-20 NX8 for close to the same $. Just my .02

How's the glass between the two, also how do they compare for the eye box and paralax? They both track and hold zero dead nuts on?
I'm not a glass junky, so take it as you will. Both sport ED glass, and IMO there is absolutely no reason either will hold you back optically. Many have stated to notice "fisheye" distortion around the edges of the FOV at max power in the NX8s, moreso in the 2.5-20, but if it's there I certainly don't notice it when I'm shooting. I have no problems with the NX8 glass on either model, and I consider the image quality very good to excellent. Not quite ATACR excellent, but you may not notice the difference unless you're comparing them side by side.

The March handles glare better than any other scope I've looked through. My only gripe with the March is that image quality degrades as you exceed 20x in the 2.5-25x52. It's still awesome, it just not as awesome above 20x.

For parallax, I prefer a fine adjustment and I really like the short travel of the March. I like it when I adjust to the point that the image is as clear as possible there is no parallax present. This is reality with the March. The NX8 takes a little more fiddling, but it's a vast improvement over the NXS.

I don't have any problem getting behind either the March or the NX8s. As I stated in an earlier post, setting proper eye relief is critical with the NX8 to minimize eye box issues, likewise for the March.

Turret function in the NX8 is classic NXS style along with the Zero Stop. The performance is everything you expect from NF. The March is excellent as well. Mine has never failed to track perfectly and it returns to and holds zero 100%.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.