Anyone wildcat IHSMA to 22-IHSMA???

junkout

Has anyone ever wildcatted the ihsma case to 22? Thinking of building one. Maybe blow it out to a 40 degree shoulder? I know its not practical so any positive feed back would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever wildcatted the ihsma case to 22? Thinking of building one. Maybe blow it out to a 40 degree shoulder? I know its not practical so any positive feed back would be appreciated.

It would be like a 22-250 improved, but about .06" short. Probably be a nice round. Will have a neck length of about .30" with a 38 degree shoulder. I'd like to have one in 6mm/IHMSA. I wouldn't even bother with a 40 degree shoulder as the gain for the effort is nill at best. I think you'd be better off with a necked down .300 Savage case, and push the shoulder back about .06". The 38 and 40 degree shoulder will give you problems later with the doughnut.
gary

Thanks Gary. Reason I ask is I have a couple hundred brass and a savage 223 barrel and wanted to keep the 308 bolt face. And have something different to top!
I will look into what you said.

Thanks Gary. Reason I ask is I have a couple hundred brass and a savage 223 barrel and wanted to keep the 308 bolt face. And have something different to top!
I will look into what you said.

The IHMSA cases don't use an easy to find head space gauge, and the .223IHMSA will be even harder to come by. Plus load data will be a start from scratch thing. Some IHMSA stamped cases are collectables, so you also might want to investigate that as well.

If you go thru with this idea, keep us all posted! I'm very interested.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.