Anyone using the Kuiu Icon packs?

wyo7

I've just received a Kuiu Icon 6000 backpack and was wondering if anyone else is using one? If so how does it compare to other frame packs under a heavy load. I'm fixing to use it in a week on a pack in archery elk hunt in Wyoming. So in a couple weeks I'll have some feedback too. All I can say for now is it looks very well built & ridiculously light. Can't wait to load her down with elk quarters for a true test.

http://shop.kuiu.com/icon-6000-bag-only-p26.aspx

Last edited:
I've just received a Kuiu Icon 6000 backpack and was wondering if anyone else is using one? If so how does it compare to other frame packs under a heavy load. I'm fixing to use it in a week on a pack in archery elk hunt in Wyoming. So in a couple weeks I'll have some feedback too. All I can say for now is it looks very well built & ridiculously light. Can't wait to load her down with elk quarters for a true test.

Icon 6000 (Bag Only) -- KUIU Online Store

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious about that pack.

I used some Kuiu clothing on a 10 day sheep hunt in AK a couple weeks ago. Very impressed with those products and think the pack should work as advertised. For the hunt I was on we (the two of us backpacking together) both chose to use the largest external frame packs available (Frontier gear of Alaska). We had no intention of making multiple trips for meat. It was a one trip in, one trip out plan. Sadly, we came out lighter than we went in but it was a fantastic adventure.

Good luck on the elk hunt and let us know how the pack works!

Gene

Icon 6000 (Bag Only) -- KUIU Online Store

I too have follwed the development of KUIU with interest. Those packs are intriguing.. I have heard though that the straps are hard to keep tight when wet. If you think your are going to get rain on your hunt I'd soak the pack and then load it up with some "dummy" weight and jump around / walk around the block or something just to test out that report. Be a bummer to have a heavy load on wet terrain and be unable to keep your pack tight to your back. ??? I'm sure KUIU would stand behind it, but be a real bummer to find that out in the field rather than at home or on a practice hike....

I have a few pieces of KUIU stuff and it works great. Good prices for what you get too.

I have the Icon pack as well but have not tested it yet. It is very light and has a lot of room. i will use it on my Coues hunt this year. No big concern on getting the meet out on a 120lb - 150lb deer though. I have a lot of their other stuff and so far nothing has disappointed me yet. Will report back by the end of the year.

I have an Kuiu Icon 3000 I have spent a lot of time with. I set out a bunch of trail cameras for elk and did some deer scouting. Typical pack weight with a full 100oz bladder is around 35 pounds so not a lot. I have not shot a deer yet this year to find out how it packs a heavier load but so far it has been very comfortable. No back pain issues or anything else. It is very easy to get around in the brush and tight spots. No squeaks or anything weird. Just an all around nice piece of equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.