anyone using the 168gr. SMK?

ffwd

I have been shooting the 168gr. Bergers for the last couple of years. I have been pleased with their performance, both at the range and on game. However, the local availability has been not promising. I picked up 300 vlds last year and haven't seen any since. I'm down to 223 after nearly completing my load workup. I am wondering if I should switch to a different bullet. Another shop, on the other side of town, has a few boxes of 500 of the 168gr. SMK's. Anyone using these in a 7mm mag.?

i have not. but its funny around here there are plenty of 168 vld target grades and i have been looking for the SMKs because i have had a lot of luck with them for hunting. i am just leary of shooting deer with the vld target grade ones becuase i have never tried. if you dont mind me asking what load are you having luck with on those 168 vlds. i have a browning a bolt 7mm mag that i just brought out from hibernation of many years and im going to start working on loads for it.

thanks

I have been shooting the 168gr. Bergers for the last couple of years. I have been pleased with their performance, both at the range and on game. However, the local availability has been not promising. I picked up 300 vlds last year and haven't seen any since. I'm down to 223 after nearly completing my load workup. I am wondering if I should switch to a different bullet. Another shop, on the other side of town, has a few boxes of 500 of the 168gr. SMK's. Anyone using these in a 7mm mag.?

The 168 grain SMKs are my favorite bullet for the 7 Rem Mag @ 1000 yard matches in
front of H4831.

They are extremely accurate in my rifle for Long range target but can be devastating on
game if you hit any bones.

J E CUSTOM

I've been using them for a while in my 7wsm pistol, They shoot insanely accurately and have made clean kills on 3 antelope and two whitetails :) I'm pushing them around 2850fps and have used them from as close as 30 yards to as far as 465. They have been way less explosive on game then the amax's I ONCE used...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.