Anyone using NEAR or Ken Farrell mounts?

lilharcher

I'm contemplating going with either (i) NEAR 20 MOA base + matching rings, or (ii) Ken Farrell 20 MOA base + matching rings.......anyone have any experience with either? Positives/Negatives?

Mounting a Swaro Z5 w/ turret to a new build (300WM).

Thanks!

No experience with the Near, never seen them other than on the internet. Do have the Farrell bases and rings, they are a quality set. Mounted on my light weight 300 rum and work well. Good luck

I have both Near and Farrell bases. Both are 20moa, and I am very happy with both of them.

I use the near base on a Winchester M70 action, and I like that it has small feature/bump to grab the action to prevent the base from slipping back to front during heavy recoil. The rifle is an ultralight build and recoil is intense, and the near base has held solid for a few years now on several backpack hunts and several hundred shots downrange.

The Farrell bases I use on my custom LR rifles and I have never had a scope lose zero. I don't have a single complaint about either Near or Farrell.

I have both. The near on a weatherby 30-378 and farrel on my 7LRM. Both are great.

I can't comment on Near, but I have Farrell bases and rings and I love them!
Expensive but worth every penny.
Customer service is the best....you can actually speak to a human being and not a run around. They will explain every last detail to you on the phone

When I ordered my Near base, I called and spoke to Richard Near on the phone. Great guy. Cool to just talk to the guy that actually made the parts. I'll be buying more Near bases down the road.

Richard Near is a fine machinist and makes one of the best fitting rail bases you will ever install. 100% quality. I have used many and will use many more.

Jeff

Thanks gentlemen. My brother has Near rail and rings on his weatherby.......he spoke to Richard for more than an hour. He loves his rail and rings but I wanted more accounts. It ultimately sounds like I can go wrong with either. Since I have a Farrell 20 MOA rail already, I'll probably go with the Farrell rings this time. But will definitely look into getting a Near system on a future build.

I also use both rail and ring setups. Richard also makes his alpha mount in a 2 or 3 ring
setup, If you are only shooting out to 1200,1300 yards ,you may want to call Richard
about the alpha mount .I have 3 and they are a work of art and much lighter than a rail and ring setup.

I have the Near rail on my Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5 swede. Obviously recoil is not much of an issue, but what I will comment on is two things...1. the fit and finish is excellent, the Tikka action has a hole in the top for a recoil pin, the Near rail has the pin machined right into the bottom of it, fit is PERFECT. 2. I like the fact that although this is a 20 MOA rail, it is very slim from top to bottom, adding very little height to my ring and scope set up. I do not use his rings, although I am sure they are great too, because I got the Vortex PMR rings with my Razor.

No comment on the Farrell products as I have never used them, but I am sure they are great too.

I have the Ken Farrell 20 MOA one piece rail bedded on four different model 700's and have been extremely pleased with absolutely no issues. Excellent fit and quality and reasonably priced.

I have the Near mounts on 6 rifles now 3 have the 1 piece alphahunter mount and 3 have 20 moa rails. You can't go wrong there.

The Ken Farrell mounts look real good as well check the weight if there is any concern there. More slots on the Near for levels etc.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

My one and only Feral experience was very negative. There is not a lot of choices for Weatherby Mark 5 actions. Farrell is one of the few options available so I tried to use one of his rails on a Weatherby Mark 5 build. That rail when snugged down in front was .080" off the rear of the action. He said that was normal and just bed it. I tested it on 3 different Mark 5's with the same results.

After sending it back and forth twice on my dimes and them insisting I didn't know what I was talking about I asked for a refund. They reluctantly did but stuck me with a 20% restocking fee. I ordered a Near 20MOA base and it fit perfect. For one off custom rails I have been using Murphy and they have been very good too. Not many people know that Talley has an extensive line of Picatinny rails for most rifles and they are well made. Picatinny Rails - Talley Manufacturing

I now use Near whenever I can but be careful with Richard Near on the phone. Those international calls costs almost as much as his great products do. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.