Anyone using light monos in a 300 RUM?

Shane Lindsey

Greetings,
Anyone loading monos at lightspeed in a RUM?

I have a 28" 300 RUM with a 12 twist, no brake on an older Christensen barrel (no meat at the end for a brake unless I use a clamp on). I am constrained to using light for caliber due to twist rate, but the rifle is 8# 2oz as I wanted and recoil with the lighter weights isn't terrible. I purchased this off GB and really didn't do my homework...Long story and not what this thread is about.

I have loaded quite a few different loads up to the 200 gr Gk as that was about what I could potentially stabilize. Just not liking what I see.

I found a load with the ...wait for it...152 Hammer Hunter and like all other rifles I have tried them in , it shoots them very well.

Just curious if anyone has gone this route also.

Thanks,

Stay safe and wash your hands...

Your plan will certainly work. Monos like speed. A 130/150/168 ttsx maybe worth a look.
You didn't specify your application for the load, so that could affect the final recommendation.

We're this me, I'd rebarrel the gun. The RUM has the power to push heavy bullets fast- which have better BCs and carry energy further. 152 GR bullets would be great in a 308/'06 type cartridge. With a new barrel and MB, you'll maximize the RUM. I also think running warp speeds with this light of a bullet is going to cause some serious throat erosion.

I have been using the 130 TSX in the 300Wby since they were introduced. They are deer magic to 500 yards and even up close you get a 1.5" exit and a deer that runs 10 yards. Not crazy bruising or 5" exits. Excellent for beating the wind to 400 yards on those really windy days. At 3780 FPS I see the bullet impact just as the sound of the rifle is about to reach my ear. Accuracy is fantastic as well. Hard on a barrel? You bet, but it ain't a prairie dog gun. Seems like a perfect use for 12 twisted RUM.

Last edited:
Your plan will certainly work. Monos like speed. A 130/150/168 ttsx maybe worth a look.
You didn't specify your application for the load, so that could affect the final recommendation.

We're this me, I'd rebarrel the gun. The RUM has the power to push heavy bullets fast- which have better BCs and carry energy further. 152 GR bullets would be great in a 308/'06 type cartridge. With a new barrel and MB, you'll maximize the RUM. I also think running warp speeds with this light of a bullet is going to cause some serious throat erosion.

I agree with rebarrel, but CF aren't cheap and this one shoots well for now. Once it's toast I will go with a faster twist. I am collecting components now for another build. I didn't ask the right questions when I bought it. Never in my life would I have thought a RUM would be barreled with a 12 twist, but oh well, I bought it, so I'll shoot it.

I live in VA so this will be a whitetail, potentially blackbear, but honestly if I had to go to Montana tomorrow to hunt elk, I would be confident in this one, at least for the MPR it provides based on the phone app. My concern was with a little heavier cup and core not being able to handle the speed on impact. It shoots the 180 Accubond well also, but just afraid it would come apart at the ranges in VA. I know I don't need a RUM in VA, but I'm compensating:p

I hunted in the early 90s out in VA on private land around Iron Gate and Goshen and the back side of the George Washington forest. We had a few places out there where 600 yards was a possibility. Back then you got 3 deer, 3 turkeys, and a bear tag for 12$ as a resident. We would wait for our bears from the far side of the corn field in the evenings as they came off the ridge and crossed the Cow Pasture river. Back then they thought we were irresponsible for setting up for a 400 yard shot. Funny how times change. My first bear was out there at that distance with a 165 grain Sierra Gameking loaded by a buddy at an estimated 3300FPS. I was shooting a new 700 Classic in 300Wby. It was still too much velocity at 400 for that bullet and it flipped a 280 pound bear and made a mess. He barely made any effort to get back up and was out in 20 seconds so I guess it worked, but it was Partitions after that from a .243.

Probably close to this camp...killed my first muzzleloader deer here when we moved back to VA.

AE08DD1E-38AE-4013-BE1F-4FB09BF812DA.png

This is now part of the National Forest. I guess it had been an old homestead and when the parents passed, the kids didn't want to maintain it so gave it to the state. It is just southeast of the fish hatchery.

There are spots in there where you could get an 800 yard shot, but probably not many.

I like the idea. Im moving back from using the heaviest Bullets I could to lighter faster stuff now. Mainly because how often can you or would you feel ok taking a shot passed 600 in your area. Most shots are under 300. Even at 600 yards I bet the light bullet beats the heavy. After that the heavy will indeed win but I've found much easier to make them fast and worry less about drop at short ranges. Then I have my rifles I know I'd take when I went out west or to Texas those have heavies in them.
Also keep in mind I know we are a lrh site but think of how many people you know that are great hunters and been able to take almost everything in North America and a lot of Africa without ever shooting over 400 yards. My dad is one of those and he has never taken anything passed 400z
I'm excited to see how fast it drops a deer at those speed.

I have been using the 130 TSX in the 300Wby since they were introduced. They are deer magic to 500 yards and even up close you get a 1.5" exit and a deer that runs 10 yards. Not crazy bruising or 5" exits. Excellent for beating the wind to 400 yards on those really windy days. At 3780 FPS I see the bullet impact just as the sound of the rifle is about to reach my ear. Accuracy is fantastic as well. Hard on a barrel? You bet, but it ain't a prairie dog gun. Seems like a perfect use for 12 twisted RUM.