Anyone using HBN powder?

Litehiker

Hexagonal Boron Nitride powder for coating bullets through tumbling seems to be the hotness for competitive shooters. Anyone here tried it?

Claims are the following:
-> Cold bore shots group almost always with the follow-up shots.
-> less barrel fouling
-> less barrel heating
-> less barrel wear

Seems like shooter's magic pixie dust, and it may well be that. But you do need to increase your powder charge to get back UP to your previous "pre-HBN" velocity. (No lie.)

Eric B.

Hexagonal Boron Nitride powder for coating bullets through tumbling seems to be the hotness for competitive shooters. Anyone here tried it?

Claims are the following:
-> Cold bore shots group almost always with the follow-up shots.
-> less barrel fouling
-> less barrel heating
-> less barrel wear

Seems like shooter's magic pixie dust, and it may well be that. But you do need to increase your powder charge to get back UP to your previous "pre-HBN" velocity. (No lie.)

Eric B.
That is true, it also does the pre-hbn velocity at a lower pressure allowing you to increase possibly to the next node you could not reach before HBN. With both of my 6.5 CM rifles 24" and 26" I find it takes about a 1/2 gr increase in the RL26 powder I use to equal the pre HBN velocity. With both rifles during break in and initial load work I shot a couple hundred without HBN to arrive at pre hbn numbers.
I love the way the HBN seems to work, I now have a dedicated vibratory tumbler for coating, that way I don't need jars or plastic bottles. I just dump several hundred or more bullets into the BBs add HBN and let her go to town.

Bowfishn that's an excellent idea. I've been on the fence about doing the HBN for a while.

About how much HBN and BB's do you put in the tumbler? How long do you run it for and are you able to avoid getting light pitting on the bullets like some have reported?

Ive been using it with my .375 bullets, both lathe turned (Cutting Edge) and swaged (Chinchaga). After 50 rounds through a treated barrel with treated bullets I got no copper fouling. Getting very tight groups at 800 yards with no fliers (or cold bore shots) so far. This is with two different barrels.
To coat them I too use a dedicated vibratory tumbler, I put in the bullets and enough media to almost cover them, then turn it on for two hours. Was concerned about the tips on both the projectiles mention but haven't seen any bullet damage. My HBN kit came with two different sized scoops, for the bigger projectiles I use two small scoops. It doesn't take much if your media is seasoned. The kit should last me several years.

I use Tubbs HxBN DTAC's and even after 2k rounds through a 243 Ackley still cleans like a dream and the bore looks fabulous. Throat still moves forward but still looks smooth and clean. On its second setback.

After cleaning I use a patch with HxBN and alcohol mixture. No oil

The other thing I have heard it does is it increases shelf life of ammo. For instance, I have had ammo that sat for about 7 or 8 months, and I wanted to seat it about .050 deeper. When doing this, several of them "cracked" it seemed when seating deeper, like they were fused to the necks. Many others have reported this, and seen inconsistencies in long range shooting with ammo loaded more than a couple months prior. Reports suggest that HBN prevents this issue of "cold welding", and makes ammunition more consistent.

I plan on trying it, I just need the time to get around to it....

Does it leave a hard to clean residue in the barrel, or do you just clean it the same way as before.

It will normally clean up easily, but you have to reapply the HBN/alcohol slurry to the barrel after you clean it. I will always fire a couple of reduced loads on a cleaned and slurried barrel as first shot pressure will increase somewhat. Most of my rifles take 4-5 shots to settle in, then you're good to go. I clean about every 100-150 rds, just to examine barrel.

It will normally clean up easily, but you have to reapply the HBN/alcohol slurry to the barrel after you clean it. I will always fire a couple of reduced loads on a cleaned and slurried barrel as first shot pressure will increase somewhat. Most of my rifles take 4-5 shots to settle in, then you're good to go. I clean about every 100-150 rds, just to examine barrel.
Wow that's seems like a long time, but seeing as I love shooting and loading, not cleaning, I just got excited.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts