Anyone using a GRS stock?

jt183

Are any of you using the GRS laminate riflestock? I know there are much cheaper options out there but finding a quality replacement stock for a stupid Browning X-Bolt is much easier said than done. Altamont makes a very nice looking stock which looks eerily similar to the GRS but they only offer it in a 223 length action. Boyds produces nothing for the X-Bolt that will accommodate a varmint weight barrel. I even tried a factory laminate replacement stock from Browning but the fore-end checkering was as sharp and crisp as shag rug carpet. Seriously, it had the feel and texture of velcro. For $400 I expected much better so it went back. Sooooo.... I'm running out of options. GRS makes one for the X-Bolt and it looks good but it's $800. Anybody have any firsthand experience with one of these?

Are any of you using the GRS laminate riflestock? I know there are much cheaper options out there but finding a quality replacement stock for a stupid Browning X-Bolt is much easier said than done. Altamont makes a very nice looking stock which looks eerily similar to the GRS but they only offer it in a 223 length action. Boyds produces nothing for the X-Bolt that will accommodate a varmint weight barrel. I even tried a factory laminate replacement stock from Browning but the fore-end checkering was as sharp and crisp as shag rug carpet. Seriously, it had the feel and texture of velcro. For $400 I expected much better so it went back. Sooooo.... I'm running out of options. GRS makes one for the X-Bolt and it looks good but it's $800. Anybody have any firsthand experience with one of these?

I'm currently trying one out on my F-Class Open rifle, it's a Rem 700 custom in 300WM, so far it appears very stable, well built and feels solid in the bedding. It sits in my front rest very snuggly, I like it so far, it appears more rugged than my HS Precision it replaced, both in the bedding block and how it sits in the rest and the cheek weld with the adjustable comb.
I would recommend one if that's all you can get.
Have you tried Bell & Carlson or HS Precision?

Cheers.
gun)

I considered that but was worried I would run out of stock material to work with. Their forearms are fairly wide at the bottom but they taper off quickly as you move upwards toward the barrel channel.

I have a GRS on my 300win.. just about 200 rounds through it so far, I really like it. Very comfortable, easy to lay on, cheekpiece is excellent (I've shot a number of chassis, & some cheekpieces really are a nightmare)

Only one complaint toward the GRS is it's weight really. It's laminate and does-not cut weight by any means vs. anything you might be taking off. I have a couple MPI fiberglass stocks that "do" lighten up the rifles they're on, but my GRS definitely doesn't do that... didn't add weight, but didn't shed any either. Worth mentioning anyway.

Awesome stocks otherwise.

Thanks guys, that was what I was wanting to know. Magnum and Rooster, which specific GRS model are you using?

Thanks guys, that was what I was wanting to know. Magnum and Rooster, which specific GRS model are you using?

Mine is the adjustable hunting version.. to do it again, I'da gone with the decima hunter instead to allow a slightly shorter length of pull. Prone, the 35-?? adjustable hunting one is just right (for me anyway/laying down at its shortest setting) BUT when shouldering it freehand it's actually a bit long-- the decima hunter version is 32-35 and would cure this perfectly. I'm 5'10-ish and haven't got a gorillas arm-length by any means.. find my rifles about best-fit with a shorter than typical LOP, 13 1/4 to 13 1/2 range vs the standard 13 3/4** That's why I'm pointing out that decima-version. It likely would have been the perfect-one.

Anyway. Keep it in mind when you order.. if you're a big dude, might want to look at a longer length of pull-range version. Or maybe like me, could-have gone with the shorter one. It's real nice when the stock actually fits a guy right.

I'm a long, lanky 6'5" so the longer length of pull doesn't concern me. How is the pistol grip area? Is it a big fat handful or is it proportioned about right? The Decima Hunter version is supposed to be 10% slimmer. That is one of the reasons I briefly considered the Decima. What color did you get? Photos?

I'm running the F-Class stock, it's the blue version.
Can't post pics, sorry, they don't work for some reason.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.