anyone used 7.62 Mil Primers in bolt action guns?

trogers000

Finally seeing some 7.62 Mil large rifle primers. If I'm reading the research correctly, they're impact tolerance is higher for gas piston platforms with floating firing pins. Has anyone used them in bolt/lever action guns? Any increase in mis-fires because of the higher tolerances?

Yep works fine, large and small size. As do regular primers in my 5.56 and 7.62 guns with floating firing pins LOL, yes there is a tiny dent when ejecting a live round but it looks the same as the dent in the mil primers. Never had a double or out of battery and shot a LOT of standard primers in them.

Hundreds of people have used military ammo in bolt action rifles. Military and civilian. All without any problems.

Note the barrels used to test military rifle ammo are fit to bolt actions.

What action? Not that I think you'll have any problems, but it's a good excuse to pull the firing pin out, look it all over, and make sure the spring and pin are in good shape.

How do you know if the spring is in good shape...... er..... is strong enough?

Most bolt action firing pin springs are rated 25 to 30 pounds cocked.

In my experience so long as it's still in one piece, isn't rusted, and isn't packed up with dirty grease it's fine enough. So long as it started worth anything - it's amazing what you find in factory actions sometimes. I had a factory R700 firing set that half the spring was packed with grease and the other half was rusted and dragging bad on the pin. Cleaned in the ultrasonic, polished it all up, still put a Gre-Tan in it.

USA military rifle ammo made in arsenals has been tested in barrels with Remington 700, Winchester 70 and 1903 Springfield actions.

Firing pin spring ratings are listed in:

Last edited:
Finally seeing some 7.62 Mil large rifle primers. If I'm reading the research correctly, they're impact tolerance is higher for gas piston platforms with floating firing pins. Has anyone used them in bolt/lever action guns? Any increase in mis-fires because of the higher tolerances?
In this day of dried up resources, mil primers are all I have on hand. Actually been using almost exclusively for around 5 years now. Load for both AR and bolt. For me, they work fine and have not givin me any grief. Usually load and shoot around 2500 total per year. Split between AR and bolt. 1000 for .308 and 1500 5.56. About. Mostly use cci 34 for the 308 and I got lucky and found 7500 Federal GM205MAR type in February. So far so good. Good results with both.

Is it true factory pockets are punched while Norma pockets are turned?
Also, I have never had factory pocket open up after only one firing

I just acquired a Lee Loadmaster for 9mm and .45apc. Interesting note in their instructions is to only use CCI or Remington primers. IF you use others they recommend a blast shield obtained from them be installed.
Seems CCI and Remington can withstand the rigors of progressive loading, others can not Just thought I would pass that along.