Anyone use this tool for cleaning deer?

joseph

I bought this and plan on using it this weekend.

Here is a video of one being used:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw]Cut Deer 8 minutes Heid Wild Game, Bone.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

This is where you can get them:

Cabela's: T-Shaped Boning Hooks

joseph

Attachments

• hook .png
    hook .png
    14.7 KB · Views: 134
Looks like the perfect instrument to carry in yer backpack in case you need to bone one out in the field....

Here is a pic from a few days ago. This is BignGreen showing my son a few "tricks of the trade" about cutting up game. BnG is a pro and use to manage a large processing center where they cut over 2000 head a year. This is why when BnG talks bullet performance I listen. I feel he has seen more inside animal damage from different bullets than anyone I know, or could muster up.

Note he is using the tool. His work is very neat and clean and there will be NO hair on it either. Oh, and he will smoke that 8 minute time with ease. Just don't get your fingers in his way...:D

Jeff

DSC04133Small.jpg

Here is a pic from a few days ago. This is BignGreen showing my son a few "tricks of the trade" about cutting up game. BnG is a pro and use to manage a large processing center where they cut over 2000 head a year. This is why when BnG talks bullet performance I listen. I feel he has seen more inside animal damage from different bullets than anyone I know, or could muster up.

Note he is using the tool. His work is very neat and clean and there will be NO hair on it either. Oh, and he will smoke that 8 minute time with ease. Just don't get your fingers in his way...:D

Jeff

DSC04133Small.jpg

What?

No video?!?

:D

The hook is an essential bit of meat cutting gear BUT they are, or should be as sharp as your knife so they don't float around a back pack very nice and they do go into your tender parts as easy as they go into the meat your working with!!!

There is a plastic knife case that holds two boning knives and it has a place that your hook will snap into with the hook point in a safe direction, Dexter-Russell, Inc.

I just noticed that the link in the OP was to a 5in or 6in hook, those are huge hooks and hard to use on lighter game animals, on buffalo or beef they are good but for game you want a 4in hook!! Butcher Packer is a great site to get supplies from by the way and they have the 4in.

I have deboned my 3 whitetail does that I have gotten using the hook and the video above as a guide. It worked so well that I bought this meat grinder. The butcher where I used to take my deer now charges 75$ per deer. He does a great job, but the money I saved paid for the grinder. Now I'm going to get a semi-stiff 6" boning knife to make it a little easier.

6" Boning Knife (Semi-stiff blade) - Forschner Fibrox Cutlery on sale

joseph

PS: A buddy of mine said that the one he bought looks like a toy compared to this one.

Attachments

• 149$ grinder .png
    149$ grinder .png
    157.6 KB · Views: 137

Attachments

• knife .jpeg
    knife .jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 121
  • knife & hook .JPG
    knife & hook .JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.