Anyone use the new Sierra pointed MKs on game?

Very good results with the 110smk! Thanks for sharing. That gives me hope.
I would just do like I do with my Bergers I hunt with, I take a small pin drill or wire that fits in the meplat hole and just make sure the hole is clear of debris such as polishing media from factory or packing material, bent meplat copper. Im not trying to make the hole bigger just making sure they are open and free of debris.

I have used the older Berger VLD hunting projectile on game & it penciled on impact & didn't really expand, results was still a dead pig but the animal ran on for some distance even though it was shot through the vitals.
If your questions is about the new SMK tipped version then I think it would work better than the older meplat version but don't forget these 'target' projectiles are not really designed to expand & have a different jacket thickness & internals, sure they will kill & will start to fragment when hitting bone & therefore show a larger exit wound than if it didn't.
Personally I prefer to use projectile typess for what hey are designed for!

The new .257" 131 Blackjack Ace is a pointed "match" HP design too. Pretty good reports of on game performance from these too.

The TMKs absolutely slaughter game. I use the 160 TMK in my .280AI for varmints. Warning, do NOT use them if you want to save the hair. I nearly cut a coyote in half at 40 yards a couple weekends ago. But at 420+, they "only" left a baseball sized exit.

Last edited:
The TMK looks interesting. I'm thinking of a dual load 165Gr TGK for close-up heavy bodied game (Wildebeest, Kudu etc) and the 168gr TMK for longer distances (Springbuck, Gemsbuck). Can't wait for hunting season to start...

Shot quite a few coyotes at range this winter with 110 smk's out of my 6 BRA. Definitely do not pencil through and not pelt friendly. Or coyote friendly.

That is true. Berger started marketing their match bullet for hunting after hunters informed them of their success and their own subsequent field testing.
I thought I read somewhere that today's Berger VLD's were once marketed as a match bullet. Anyone know the story on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.