Anyone use Schnees pac boots?

Timnterra

I need new boots and I'm planning on a backpacking hunt in the cascade mountains for elk next fall. Have any of you guys tried the pac boots from Schnees or kenetrek for backpacking? Seems like they might be intended for riding horses not backpacking, but if they keep the feet warm and dry while hiking all day they could be worth a try. But it seems like sweating would be a problem considering they are solid rubber and leather with joy way to breathe?

https://schnees.com/western-packer-adv/

https://kenetrek.com/collections/pac-boots/products/13-grizzly

I have a pair of Schnee Hunter boots. I believe they're very similar to the Western Packer, but shorter.

I like them a lot for the right application. They're warm if you're active, but not for sitting in an unheated blind all day. They're waterproof, the air bob soles clean out great, they're fantastic for sneaking/still-hunting through the woods, and they're very easy to dry out by removing the felt pacs and placing them next to a heat source.

But (there's always a but) they don't have a stiff sole which is why they're great for sneaking. If you're going to walk a lot in the mountains I think your feet/ankles might get a little tired/sore from to boot flexing as much as it does. I really like my boots, and have used them for hunting elk in the past but I've moved on to stiffer boots in winter conditions in mountainous areas. Because the Western Packer is taller they might be a little bit stiffer than the Hunter.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your elk hunt!

I've owned Schnee's pack boots for more than 20 years and have hunted them throughout North and Central Idaho. I was 100% satisfied, until the last resole I had done. The bottoms have changed and the boots are not the same. I sent them back and had them resoled again and they simply are 'different'. The bottom design and composition has been altered and for me, they no longer are my 'ideal' pack boot.

Highly recommend looking at the Hoffman Pack boots made in Kellogg, Idaho.

I have used Schnee's for 15+ years and love them for staking hunting.....I don't think I'd want to climb a rocky mountain in them but for a all round hunting boot, they are my choice! I had a pair that made it though 3 re-soles, moving up in size from 9-10.5. They are still usable and in good shape but the leather upper is a little small for the boot size, so I purchased a new pair. Last pair I had resoled was 2-3 years ago.......Sad to hear they've changed! I'll probably still give them another resole just to see for myself. They keep my feet dry in western Washington late season, That should say something! We don't have extreme cold here, but with wool socks, my feet stay warm.

Played in the cascade quite a bit....never found the need for an extreme boot....gortex 3/4 hikers always been enough for me...
Lately i been using salomon gortex.....keep them a little bigger and use good socks....really comfortable...liteweight....
Last pair lasted 3 years....used for work, play and hunting in snow...not extreme deep snow...but deep enough....

Irish Setter Elk tracker for our family .
I'm headed out in the am up to 8000' or so looking for a Mule Deer . These have lots of miles on them but I will post a report when I return ..

Rum Man

I wore my Scnhee Hunters this weekend while hunting in Michigan's UP. We had about a foot of snow. I have one weak ankle from an injury long ago. It's now pretty darn sore from not enough ankle support in my boots. They're great boots, just not a lot of ankle support.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts