Anyone use a sleep apnea mouthpiece?

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it works, I'm also curious how the dentist fit is different from the end user fit application

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it works, I'm also curious how the dentist fit is different from the end user fit application
I will let you know but it's probably just like rifles custom is expensive but always a better fit than stock

I wish I could do the same I have worn out two units over 10 years and I am currently not doing anything and I feel pretty rough and lots of meds
I can't believe how many problems went away after the weight loss surgery. I know where your at. Before my sleep was terrible n I didn't realize how much of a toll it was taking on me. With that said the sleep machine helped but not as much as it help alott of people. But I was forced to use it if I wanted to keep my cal license. I wish you well

I've worked in respiratory for 9 years and this question of camping with a Cpap comes up a lot. Some of the best options came out in the last few years with small travel cpaps that don't use a humidifier. Heating the water uses a lot of electricity so by using a closed system with a special filter allows your own respiration humidity to maintain a tolerable level of humidity and saves electricity/battery time. Here's a good option on the market that utilizes this system. Lots of good, lightweight battery options on the market to go with this.

Second, I'm not a huge fan of the mouth guards. There is not a ton of data and reputable studies that prove the efficacy of them. The fact that they are prescribed by dentists and not a sleep doctor or Pulmonologist says something. There's rarely (Polysomnogram) testing for these mouth guards that proves any diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea, or any testing post fitting that proves an improvement in a reduction of apneas. Another big indicator that this is not a fix for the problem is that I don't believe your insurance can be billed for these mouth guards, so most pay out of pocket for this treatment.
Talk to a primary doctor if a person feels as though they've got any symptoms of sleep disordered breathing. (Morning headaches, hypertension, chronic fatigue, a-fibrilation, and a host of others, and also snoring being a relatively small part of the picture)

However, in personal experience in duck camp a few years ago my buddy forgot his snoring mouth guard. The entire shack could feel his snores in the floor boards. Next night there was absolutely no snoring with his guard in. (Less booze the second night was a big factor to lol).
If the goal is long term health improvements and better sleep, look into a CPAP. If your goal is respecting your camp buddies, or getting byWithout electricity a few days, a mouth guard might be a nice option.

I've been using a C-Pap for two years now and feel much much more rested. I called the machine manufacturer and found my unit uses 144 watts. Was going to buy a 1000 watt inverter but went to a 300 watt. We dry camp on hunts and camping trips 99%. I have two six volt batteries in my fifthwheel and the inverter hardly phases the batteries. A friend's Dr. told him he would die without a C-Pap. Worst failure of the sleep test Dr. had ever seen. On hunts he carries a 12 volt battery and 150 watt inverter for his machine and it lasts nearly a week. Of course lugging a battery on a backpacking trip is out of the question. Perhaps the portable solar is a good solution. Sleep well!

I'm definitely a believer in my cpap, although I'm not a fan of the fact that you HAVE to order replacement supplies from a prescription provider. Seems another way to provide revenue stream to both the Doctor as well as the supplier. Where as the mouth positioned would take that away from them, and its BIG money! That being said, my goal isnt to stop using my cpap (although that would be great). My goal is just to have another option for the times where a cpap would be a pain in the butt.

I'm definitely a believer in my cpap, although I'm not a fan of the fact that you HAVE to order replacement supplies from a prescription provider. Seems another way to provide revenue stream to both the Doctor as well as the supplier. Where as the mouth positioned would take that away from them, and its BIG money! That being said, my goal isnt to stop using my cpap (although that would be great). My goal is just to have another option for the times where a cpap would be a pain in the butt.
When I wore mine I use to tell my wife what a pain in the u know what just to go to bed

I agree replacement components and cleaning are an inconvenience. Living healthier and longer and not being tired by noon make C-Pap use worth the inconvenience. The OP is looking for options, dental appliances, portable power supply and solar are options. I like the solar, it can charge other devices as well and is fairly affordable.

I think most cpap machines will run with a 300 watt portable power supply. I have the large one simply because I own a small Class B rv and when I dry dock in some places generators aren't allowed after certain hours. Mine allows me to still be comfy throughout the night using my electronics stuff without using up my house batteries. A friend of mine has a smaller unit for his cpap and a lot less expensive and weight as much as a portable radio.
I believe this is what he has, but he does not use the humidifier and it lasts through the night and than charges it during the day, sometimes I charge his with mine if he forgets.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WXGQZWG/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Yes, I do. It is not for everybody because it depends on the "actual" condition or severity. I stopped using my CPAP machine almost 10 years ago and went with a custom made dental device and so much happier. It is like a mouth guard that adjusts to open up the airways. If you snore during flights, you use it discreetly. 😇

In short, it simply works for me.

NOTE:

Your dental insurance (Delta Dental) might not (???) cover it but the dentist that build mine found a loophole (sorry I cannot remember what it was) for my medical insurance (Tricare) to cover it.

Good luck!

Ed
The dentists sell an expensive mouth piece for snoring that is comparable to what is readily available online for only $70: check out www.puresleep.com. They send two pieces that are heated in hot water and molded to your teeth. I have used mine for over 5 years and they still work. They work by creating a mild jaw thrust, which pulls the tongue away from the back of the throat. And they are totally comfortable to wear.
Caution: I am a snorer and do not have sleep apnea. But it would be worth checking out if you have sleep apnea and cannot easily haul a CPAP machine on a backpack hunt. I'd suggest trying it at home in advance and have your wife/husband observe how you breathe. Sleep apnea is NOT something to ignore or neglect!! It can be fatal-- I've had two friends die of right heart failure because they were they were diagnosed too late, and both were doctors.

I use a CPAP machine also and have found using one while dry camping a real PITA!! I think that one has to develop a plan that fits one's own particular situation. Here's a link about portable CPAP machines that might interest you:

That's what I thought, just a few oz to carry. Even if it just gets me by for a few days at a time before I go back on my cpap itd be great!

For several years I have worn a "night time dental mouth guard" made by BRIGHT GUARD (Amazon) that works quite well. It stopped my nightly snoring and allowed me to get much better sleep. The moulding of the guard is the tricky part as it is a challenge to learn to do it properly. Three of us in elk camp wear them in camp. Highly recommend, seems almost any brand will do but the BRIGHT GUARD has large breathing slots.