Anyone use a sleep apnea mouthpiece?

Tulsa Reiner

+1 for all the users doing portable cpap machines. Mouthpieces are ok but it really depends on weather you have obstructive or central apnea. A portable machine is the only good option for the later. Protect your brains!

And you HEARTS! Sleep apnea causes right-side heart failure, for which there is no treatment.

CBH Australia

An old blokes thread?
I started on CPAP at 48 after a home sleep study. Last year.
I feel some benefits bit maybe not as much as many others say they do.
I was told I was at high risk for problem s.
I can run a regular unit on 12 v in the caravan so will camp in my car on some outings.
I would like to try a mouthpiece but I expect they don't work for everyone. My stats were high.but lower now.
When I drink I am higher in ahi there is a notable difference.
Having a few beers early then stopping is ok . Any suggestions on how to show discipline when drinking.
Losing weight helps most people. I t could help me🤔
If I get the chance I might try a mouthpiece even just for the odd night away or travel

DJ Morrison

An old blokes thread?
I can run a regular unit on 12 v in the caravan so will camp in my car on some outings.
I would like to try a mouthpiece but I expect they don't work for everyone. My stats were high.but lower now.
Having a few beers early then stopping is ok . Any suggestions on how to show discipline when drinking.
If I get the chance I might try a mouthpiece even just for the odd night away or travel
Do you have any positional changes? If i am on my back i am way worse. If you do, then there are ways from keeping you from rolling over to certain sides to keep the apnetic events down...

Rilow

An old blokes thread?
I used a c pap but it helped some but not like it does for some people. Doctor told me l needed to do something if wanted to live awhile. I decided to get stomach surgery, lost 120lbs, around 180 now and I sleep like a baby. No more cpap or cholesterol or blood pressure medicine. Best thing I did no more knee trouble. Now need to quit smoking

Dosh

I used a c pap but it helped some but not like it does for some people. Doctor told me l needed to do something if wanted to live awhile. I decided to get stomach surgery, lost 120lbs, around 180 now and I sleep like a baby. No more cpap or cholesterol or blood pressure medicine. Best thing I did no more knee trouble. Now need to quit smoking
😂

CBH Australia

Yes, stop smoking. How? Stop putting them in you mouth.
Reformed smoker who likes to annoy people.

I know, I know.

@ DJ Morrison.
She says I snore on my back. Pre CPAP.

I think I have always been restless,tossing and turning.

I still try lay on my side, back, stomach.

I use a nasal pillow mask. It works for me.

I twist my pillow up in my sleep. I kill one a year.

I think the machine helps, if nothing else the numbers are better. Apneas below 5 generally below 3 and they say that's good.

Drink is not my friend, if I enjoy a few the numbers rise and I wake after about 4 hrs. I blame the sugar from drinks.

I reckon I could do well if I lost 30lb, I'm not big but I'm conscious of my weight and it's affect on snoring.

On that note I walked my dog today, been a while.

Tulsa Reiner

Since this thread started, I was diagnosed with afib, and underwent a home sleep study to rule out sleep apnea because it is a common cause of afib. I had "mild sleep apnea" (5 apneic episodes/hr). So the Sleep expert/ pulmonologist had me start wearing a PureSleep.com mouth piece at night, never sleep on my back, and not drink alcohol within 4 hrs of going to bed. A month later, I did a repeat sleep, and only had one apneic episode in 5 hours. The doctor was pleased.
Unfortunately, I still have intermittent afib, so I'm stuck on blood thinners, probably for the rest of my life.
Bottom line: these two conditions are often associated, and carry serious risks. Fortunately, the treatments aren't severe. (In a previous comment I talked about the severe risk of right heart failure in untreated sleep apnea. The severe risk of afib is stroke.)

Rilow

No easy way to quit smoking but to take it in the chin like a man. Quit cold turkey in 1996, still want one after a meal, with coffee, drinking beer or after sex. Some days are better than others. Not trying to discourage, just telling it like it is.
Believe me I know. Doctors told me I had to quit I month prior to weight loss surgery n I managed to stop I week before surgery, then after surgery I went back to it. They told me they would test before surgery and if had been smoking they wouldn’t do surgery but they didn’t. The heart doctor charge $40 for smoking consulting to tell me smoking was bad for me. It was actually on the bill with other charges 😳

NRLArt

interesting read. I use an APAP as I had become so dependent on a CPAP to sleep. I've always snored but with some additional weight I have apnea. I'm in the process of buying a small, portable APAP and battery. My insurance won't cover it. So I'm looking at an out of pocket expense of about 1.5k.... As I've switched from a face mask to nose pillows which I notice less leaks....

WanderingGoatie

interesting read. I use an APAP as I had become so dependent on a CPAP to sleep. I've always snored but with some additional weight I have apnea. I'm in the process of buying a small, portable APAP and battery. My insurance won't cover it. So I'm looking at an out of pocket expense of about 1.5k.... As I've switched from a face mask to nose pillows which I notice less leaks....
Are you sure insurance won’t cover it? Even if they won’t cover the cost of the machine, why $1500? The unit itself doesn’t look to be that expensive for cash for a travel resmed APAP. Quick google showed me $600ish.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.