Anyone use a sleep apnea mouthpiece?

Had my sleep study done and he said I was mild sleep apnea. He recommended the oral device over the machine.

I had my dentist fit me and I used one for about 2.5 years. Over time my jaw would get used to the adjustment and I would start snoring again. I'd adjust it out some more and it would be good for a while. Then I maxed out the adjustment.... Plus getting used to it was a pain!!

After it kept moving my jaw and bite alignment, I said screw it and got a CPAP machine. Screw the mouthpiece!! Wish I had never had it. Just my $.02
I wonder if there's people who have a better experience with the mouth guard with an even lower AHI.

Last edited:
I want to try the mouthpiece so I can backpack again. Would hard to do a high mountain guided hunt with the machine. After using the CPAP I have a hard time falling asleep without it. I didn't realize how dependent on it I was. When I was young, I guess I never felt it until I got closer to retirement. Now I have to travel with it...sux.

I wonder if there's people who have a better experience with the mouth guard with an even lower AHI.

The mouthpiece is designed to hold your lower jaw forward with a little gap between your upper and lower teeth. The problem with mine was my bite would get used to the current adjustment and I would have to move the lower jaw even more to stop the snoring. Basically creating an under bite.

I guess if you used it temporally it wouldn't have such a drastic affect on your bite, but it still sucked getting used to it. It locks onto your teeth and you have to actually pry a little to get it to pop off in the morning. For about 3 months I dreamed I had jolly ranchers, laffy taffy or bubble gum stuck in my mouth and I couldn't get my mouth to open. :rolleyes:

I just recently acquired two new power banks from a company called Jackery. They have several sizes that start from 160 , 240, 500, and recently in market 1000 watt. I bought the 500 watt Jackery for $499 and for those that don't know usually paying 1 dollar per watt is usually the going rate and a fair price. This has a 12V regulated plug and weighs about 13 pounds. It can be charged using solar power, ac or plugging it to the cigarette lighter of your car while running. I tested both of the units with my Bipap machine using the humidifier. I have to use the humidifier as the pressures prescribed for me are very high at 16. Anyway using the DC converter from Resmed and the 12V plug of the Jackery 500 watt unit I was able to use it for 18 hours and 12 minutes before the unit needed a recharge. For me since I sleep an average of 5 to 6 hours per night that means 3 days of hunting. Keep in mind that if you do not use a humidifier because your air pressure may not be as high as mine you could possibly get an extra few hours for your CPAP.

explorer-500w-portable-power-station

Last edited:
I just recently acquired two new power banks from a company called Jackery. They have several sizes that start from 160 , 240, 500, and recently in market 1000 watt. I bought the 500 watt Jackery for $499 and for those that don't know usually paying 1 dollar per watt is usually the going rate and a fair price. This has a 12V regulated plug and weighs about 13 pounds. It can be charged using solar power, ac or plugging it to the cigarette lighter of your car while running. I tested both of the units with my Bipap machine using the humidifier. I have to use the humidifier as the pressures prescribed for me are very high at 16. Anyway using the DC converter from Resmed and the 12V plug of the Jackery 500 watt unit I was able to use it for 18 hours and 12 minutes before the unit needed a recharge. For me since I sleep an average of 5 to 6 hours per night that means 3 days of hunting. Keep in mind that if you do not use a humidifier because your air pressure may not be as high as mine you could possibly get an extra few hours for your CPAP.

explorer-500w-portable-power-station

I wonder if a bipap would use more or less power on average than a standard continuous positive airway pressure or even an autopap.

Have you tried or tested the portable resmed unit? I know himidification on a lot of standard cpap units tends to use a good amount of juice. Those small portable units don't use humidification but use a rebreather type filter to maintain humidity. I'd be curious. Making me want to get in touch with my Resmed rep lol for a tester unit lol.

I wonder if a bipap would use more or less power on average than a standard continuous positive airway pressure or even an autopap.

Have you tried or tested the portable resmed unit? I know himidification on a lot of standard cpap units tends to use a good amount of juice. Those small portable units don't use humidification but use a rebreather type filter to maintain humidity. I'd be curious. Making me want to get in touch with my Resmed rep lol for a tester unit lol.
The power usage is about the same as the CPAP. I was averaging about 25 watts at the highest peak and about 19 at its lowest, whereas the CPAP was always a constant of about 26 watts. Both of my power packs the Jackery and the Inergy Apex unit display the amount of discharge usage. But I really have not tested the portable unit as I already thought mine were pretty small to start with.

Last edited:
My brother is using it. He has some difficulties with it, but handles everything. Just wanted to bring up a quick story about him that happened not long ago. He was dreaming about something really strange that made him wake up in the middle of the night. But when going back to sleep and waking up the next morning he did not remember anything. My brother recalled only small pieces or elements out of my dreams and when looking for their meanings I found this cite dreams-meaning.com . You know, I have suggested him that he talk about this with medium Amanda. This turned out to be quite interesting and difficult content, even if everything looks simple at the 1st glance, but Amanda clarified everything to him.

Last edited:
I'm a dentist and I also wear a mouth appliance for mild sleep apnea. My business partner does part time sleep practice focused on the oral appliances and regular dentistry with me the rest of the time. You should be able to go through your medical insurance to get one made for you, but a sleep study is required first. I've been wearing an oral appliance for about 4 years now and can't sleep without it. There are dentists that focus specifically on sleep apnea, so search for one in your area.

I'm a dentist and I also wear a mouth appliance for mild sleep apnea. My business partner does part time sleep practice focused on the oral appliances and regular dentistry with me the rest of the time. You should be able to go through your medical insurance to get one made for you, but a sleep study is required first. I've been wearing an oral appliance for about 4 years now and can't sleep without it. There are dentists that focus specifically on sleep apnea, so search for one in your area.

I am glad you chimed in. As noted in #8, that's exactly what I went through.

Ed

Recent Posts