Anyone use a sleep apnea mouthpiece?

I am thinking of getting a portable unit, just seems it would be easier to travel with. Does yours store a sleep report that I could provide to my employer? They have to be able to track my use, which is why a mouth piece or other device doesn't help me. I mean they might help me sleep but me being in compliance at work is what I'm worried about.

As far as I'm aware, the smaller portable unit like I've got, doesn't record usage. I'm sure a CPAP machine supplier could point you in the right direction. There's a couple of good brands in the US as well as Fisher & Paykel from here in New Zealand.

Does the portable CPAP store data like my home unit. I am required for my CDL to meet a percentage that can be tracked by our health services at work. They are strict. If I'm going to hunt or camp with no power I have to be at higher percentage leading up to the hunt so my average doesn't fall below 70%?
It should but I'd have to double check to be sure. I haven't spoken to the Resmed rep in a while so I'd hate to give a definite answer. Just off a scan of the page I know it stores data so all of that should be able to be gathered and sent to your pcp.

It should but I'd have to double check to be sure. I haven't spoken to the Resmed rep in a while so I'd hate to give a definite answer. Just off a scan of the page I know it stores data so all of that should be able to be gathered and sent to your pcp.

My home machine stores data. It's a 12 year old RESMED machine. The portable one, I've only had for 3 years, and doesn't have a data slot/card, but isn't a RESMED machine.

Hows everyone making out with their training during quarantine?
Im doing a tur hunt in nov and was doing the mtn tough program before they closed all the gyms
Just restricted to the bowflex treadclimber and it seems to have the right motion for cimbing mountains. Anyone else have one of these for pre season training

Well this magically got posted on the wrong thread

Second, I'm not a huge fan of the mouth guards. There is not a ton of data and reputable studies that prove the efficacy of them. The fact that they are prescribed by dentists and not a sleep doctor or Pulmonologist says something. There's rarely (Polysomnogram) testing for these mouth guards that proves any diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea, or any testing post fitting that proves an improvement in a reduction of apneas.

As I noted in my initial post, it is not for everybody, but my "actual real-world" experience is that it is working for me. It might have been prescribed by a dentist but it does not mean they do not know what they are doing or talking about. The dentist that made my device had specialized training.

Another big indicator that this is not a fix for the problem is that I don't believe your insurance can be billed for these mouth guards, so most pay out of pocket for this treatment.

Not all insurance coverage is the same. My dental insurance (Delta Dental at the time) will not cover it but my medical insurance did (Tricare for life).

Most of my fishing buddies are docs. Two of which are EENTs and one a pulmonologist. A few years ago, I got some free lecture over a campfire but I already transitioned into the dental device. Two things stuck in my mind:

(1) Being overweight is a big factor. That is not the case for me but I still work on my ideal weight with diet and exercises.

(2) Most occurrences and tests are done laying on your back. Try laying on your side. This works for me too.

Cheers!

As I noted in my initial post, it is not for everybody, but my "actual real-world" experience is that it is working for me. It might have been prescribed by a dentist but it does not mean they do not know what they are doing or talking about. The dentist that made my device had specialized training.

Not all insurance coverage is the same. My dental insurance (Delta Dental at the time) will not cover it but my medical insurance did (Tricare for life).

Most of my fishing buddies are docs. Two of which are EENTs and one a pulmonologist. A few years ago, I got some free lecture over a campfire but I already transitioned into the dental device. Two things stuck in my mind:

(1) Being overweight is a big factor. That is not the case for me but I still work on my ideal weight with diet and exercises.

(2) Most occurrences and tests are done laying on your back. Try laying on your side. This works for me too.

Cheers!

Prior to being tested/getting my CPAP machine, lying on my back was the 'noisiest' position - for everyone else in the house.
12 years later, still using the same machine.
Have taken naps during the day, reports from the wife indicates that I still need to use the CPAP machine at night.

Completely forgot about this thread until yesterday. For the resmed mini, it stores compliance information that can be pulled wirelessly.
I also found out medicare does pay for the dental appliances. Still not a fan of them as there's rarely any solid proof via testing that shows they are a fix for actual apneas, but possibly an option for a mild case of OSA.

The dental device in studies is overall about half as effective as CPAP; YMMV. The only way to know is to have a sleep study using the dental device. And no, sleep studies are not done just lying on your back; they are done in whatever position you happen to sleep most comfortably.
I have quite a few patients who are doing home sleep testing (not oximetry, HST) now due to covid. Those tests are done in your own bed and whatever position you normally sleep.

The dental device in studies is overall about half as effective as CPAP; YMMV. The only way to know is to have a sleep study using the dental device. And no, sleep studies are not done just lying on your back; they are done in whatever position you happen to sleep most comfortably.

I agree with your assessment on dental device study but "I" was not given any option on position when I got tested in 2006, esp. with all the probes attached. The most comfortable position for the test and use of my CPAP machine was laying on my back.

Completely forgot about this thread until yesterday. For the resmed mini, it stores compliance information that can be pulled wirelessly.
I also found out medicare does pay for the dental appliances. Still not a fan of them as there's rarely any solid proof via testing that shows they are a fix for actual apneas, but possibly an option for a mild case of OSA.

Like I clearly noted in my original post ...

Yes, I do. It is not for everybody because it depends on the "actual" condition or severity.

I am no expert or claim to be but the bottom line is, it works for me and my condition. Yes, VA diagnosed me with sleep apnea after Rocky Mountain Sleep Disorders Center sleep study. I am simply sharing "my actual" experience on the subject matter. I understand the skepticism but individuals should "actually" try what best works for them.

Cheers!

Like I clearly noted in my original post ...

I am no expert or claim to be but the bottom line is, it works for me and my condition. Yes, VA diagnosed me with sleep apnea after Rocky Mountain Sleep Disorders Center sleep study. I am simply sharing "my actual" experience on the subject matter. I understand the skepticism but individuals should "actually" try what best works for them.

Cheers!
I read your post. I was pointing out I was wrong as I verified via our billing dept.

Had my sleep study done and he said I was mild sleep apnea. He recommended the oral device over the machine.

I had my dentist fit me and I used one for about 2.5 years. Over time my jaw would get used to the adjustment and I would start snoring again. I'd adjust it out some more and it would be good for a while. Then I maxed out the adjustment.... Plus getting used to it was a pain!!

After it kept moving my jaw and bite alignment, I said screw it and got a CPAP machine. Screw the mouthpiece!! Wish I had never had it. Just my $.02