Anyone up to a challenge?

dakor

There is a guy over on AR site that has a challenge for any long range shooters. The challenge is if you can hit a 10x10 inch target 9 out of 10 shots at 800 yards from the prone position he will pay for your plane ticket and also do an article on you in Varmit Magazine. Here is the link.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/346108991
ANOTHERAZWRITTER is the one that has the open challenge. As you can see Long Range Hunting really gets ripped up on this site. I would take the challenge myself but I am not that skilled yet. Some of you on here I believe could do it easily.

Well i kept his address,Those guys realy hammered him about everything.I do see some of there thoughts,but they were not there,and that is the bottom line.I've made several 300y shots on moving coys,with store guns and ammo,so i guess i'm sayin you had to be there.If you a member over there ask them about BEN LILLY? Old school bear hunter,no nothin!used dogs tied to his pants,realy liked wingin them to get them to turn,sounds NUTS,but that is my opinion.I'm sure he killed more bears with some anchient junk than all the people on ALL these sights.I guess they would of had a fit when i shot 2 for 1 at 250,because i could.

By all means, someone should show these guys where the cow pees. I would love to, but my boss won't let me off for more than 2 days in a row right now.
Oh, by the way, I am the guy they ripped on, and just so everyone is on the same page, anyone interested in the challange (or a good butt whoopin) should read my latest post on the 820 yard cow elk pics. It should get you up to date.

I would like to say this before it might happen. I am just the messenger so please do not shoot me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I believe in Long Range hunting and I do think it is ethical. GoodGrouper I do owe you an apology about what I said about your RAM but the way you made it sound in your original post was that you fired a few shots and it sounded like you were just slinging lead and hoping to hit something. Remembr guys I am on your side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I only have a little time right now but I'll address how I view these "challenges" as they are a fairly routine issue.

First things first: Premise 1 of long range hunting, the hunter decides when and if the shot should be taken. 2) the hunter very often sets up in a favorable position, wind, light, etc. 3) The "kill zone" on an animal varies in size according to several issues...for long range hunting and the disposition of the animals the "kill zone" is often larger than folks think.

These challenges are often designed for failure... a small/smallish kill zone, a longish distance, shots at fixed intervals and not shots when the hunter agrees conditions are correct, shots across changing/unrealistic shooting condition winds.... it goes on and on...

"Like the old auto commercial where a fella is cutting a diamond in the rear of a luxury car....smooth ride huh!! The system was designed to succeed... The challenge would then be issued "Can't be done and I'll prove it to you... I'll let him try 5 diamonds in the back of my low-rider...I pick the road, time of day, speed and diamonds..."

The "challenge" would need to be engineered to meet the conditions of the hunter, not the challenger.

Ain't it funny? Why do they challange a shot made at 820 yards on an elk, like it can't be done? or it's somehow bad to attemp such a shot. Yet on this site a guy makes a claim of shooting a 5/8" group at three hundred yards with his hunting rifle, shows a pic of a target and everyone is to polite to say anything. I like it here much better than that other web site. Thanks for running a great place to have a chat and share information, Dave!

Well, I have a challenge also.

I will supply the snow-shovels so that someone can shovel through the three feet of snow out where we shoot - so we can get our vehicles to our firing position. I feel a hell of a need to shoot long, but mom-nature has pretty well scuppered that for a while.

The very reason that this site exits is because of the many self-righteous individuals who feel entitled to tell the world the way things should be done - in particular how not to hunt and shoot at critters. They can have their sites and we will have this one - simple as that.

Well, AR is not the great site it used to be. The quality of the people of there have diminished, IMO.

Everything that's said or done is challenged or the person is attacked in a feeding frenzy.

I don't frequent there much anymore...sakofan...FWIW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OH OH OH , does an AR-10 count???? it's an AR !!!

God I wish I had vacation time , I have an AR-10 300 RSUM that will group 175gr match Kings at 3/4" MOA at 600yds that has to be close at the 800yd range , Its a true consistant 1/2" rig at 100yds and will shot at the 3/4" mark at 200yds

Dakor,
If you will, tell the challenger this:

It would be much more feasible (and probably cheaper) for him to come to the shooter, rather than the shooter go to him. If the challenger comes, then all he has to bring is himself. If he comes here, I can supply the gong and the range, so he would not have to pack anything on the plane.
If the shooter goes there, he must bring his gun, rangefinder (to make sure it's a true 800 yards), ammo, reloading equipment (so he could load up ammo according to the conditions at the range), bipod, and drop charts or PDA.

As Dave King said, they would probably tweek the odds in their favor if it was held at the challengers home field. So I think it would be better to have the shoot at a more nuetral spot. I have great experience shooting in the Rocky Mountains, but I have never shot a gun at less than 3500 feet. I am almost positive that I would have to spend at least two days to re-adjust my load and gun-and even then, there might be a few unexpected surprises. It would be more fair for him to come to my home turf. After all, here is where the shot took place that started the whole debate.

If you would like to ask him about my suggestion, and he accepts to come here, I will take the challenge!
Thanks, ---goodgrouper

[ QUOTE ]
Ain't it funny? Why do they challange a shot made at 820 yards on an elk, like it can't be done? or it's somehow bad to attemp such a shot. Yet on this site a guy makes a claim of shooting a 5/8" group at three hundred yards with his hunting rifle, shows a pic of a target and everyone is to polite to say anything. I like it here much better than that other web site. Thanks for running a great place to have a chat and share information, Dave!

[/ QUOTE ]

If a short guy has never seen a ball dunked in basketball before he would have a hard time believing it can be done right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will give him the message. But if you guys do square off please video tape it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.