Anyone try Reloader 17 yet?

I have had good results using it with my .243

I intend to try it in my .338 next.

I really like the fact that Alliant is now designing powders for specific calibers, not just a new or different burn rate as other manufacturers seem to do. Focusing on developing the powder for the best performance in a given cartridge will benefit hand loaders by minimizing wasted dollars spent on powders that don't work well for your gun.

I beat you to the punch on that one! :D

I worked up a load for my .338 WM using RL#17 and it turned out so GOOD I purchased an additional 5 lbs of it so I'd have the same lot #

2867 fps / 24 inch barrel - @ 4061 ft lbs of energy using a 225 grain Hornady SP made one BIG ragged hole at 100 yards. :cool:

Interesting to see it worked in a 338 Win mag!

Seeing this thread got fired up again, I thought I'd mention a followup to the previous post. Backed down the RL-17 load in that 23" 284 win to 58 gr. Velocity is 3100 which is still very respectable for a 284. The higher charge showed inconsistencies in accuracy.

Still haven't gotten to trying RL-17 in my 7 Rem Mag. I used up all 3 lbs on the 284. I just ordered another 5 lbs and intend to try some 150/160/162 gr bullets in A 24" 7 Rem Mag. Will post results when I get them.

Well I spent more than 1 hour reviewing this thread and searching the Forum and reading all other related threads concerning the velocities being obtained with RL17 yesterday, and I found no concensus. Some guys on this site that shoot a butt-load, "goodgrouper" included, did not obtain the remarkable velocity gains being claimed by others. If everyone was getting an extra 150 fps using the powder, word should spread like wildfire - on this Forum in particular. I'll be interested to learn of your results with the 7mm Rem Mag.

One post in a separate thread stating remarkable velocities from a 280 AI caught my attention, but I expect to find plenty of posts if the RL17 commonly produces an additional 150-200 fps MV. Or even 100 fps. I couldn't find them, so I remain skeptical.

Well I spent more than 1 hour reviewing this thread and searching the Forum and reading all other related threads concerning the velocities being obtained with RL17 yesterday, and I found no concensus. Some guys on this site that shoot a butt-load, "goodgrouper" included, did not obtain the remarkable velocity gains being claimed by others. If everyone was getting an extra 150 fps using the powder, word should spread like wildfire - on this Forum in particular. I'll be interested to learn of your results with the 7mm Rem Mag.

One post in a separate thread stating remarkable velocities from a 280 AI caught my attention, but I expect to find plenty of posts if the RL17 commonly produces an additional 150-200 fps MV. Or even 100 fps. I couldn't find them, so I remain skeptical.

Paul, I have observed the same as you as far as reports in the forums. On personal experience, I got 3193 with 67 gr of RL17 and 180 E-Tips out of my 300 WSM which is 200 fps more thn I was getting out of H4350 (66.5 gr). I also got a very respectable 2935 with 65.5 gr of RL17 pushing 210 Bergers. However, unlike bounty Bounty Hunter my 168 TTSX's didn't do so well. I only got 3071 out of them with 65.5 gr of RL17 which is till slightly better than what I was getting.

So the results seem to be very mixed. It may be a finicky powder. I have read from a couple of guys who got good results in their .06

I know i will be trying it in other cartidges like the 7mm RM and the 300 RUM with GS HV 177's which tend need a little faster burning powder than Retumbo.

I found "some" increased velocity in my WSM, but before I commit I really want to see some trials w/ temperature sensitivity. My own trials have shown 60+ fps difference in cooler vs. HOT temps. This is not surprising, as all powders are subject to temperature, but to me this appears to be more apparent with RL 17 than H1000/Retumbo. Any other comments as to this powders ability to cope w/ temperature changes?

I found "some" increased velocity in my WSM, but before I commit I really want to see some trials w/ temperature sensitivity. My own trials have shown 60+ fps difference in cooler vs. HOT temps. This is not surprising, as all powders are subject to temperature, but to me this appears to be more apparent with RL 17 than H1000/Retumbo. Any other comments as to this powders ability to cope w/ temperature changes?

I have been wondering about this. RL17 is advertised to be stable. If it's not, it's not very useful to me hunting in Montana's weather at long ranges. I will be testing it out if I have a cartridge that shoots it well... may be selling the WSM.

-MR

Last edited:
I have been using RE15 with excelent results. I did purchase some RE17 for the same reason and found my groups opened up with both 165 and 180 gr accubonds. I had to go with 168gr TTSX, 66gr RE17 = 3170fps with excellent groups.

300WSM
Remington model 700 Boone & Crockett edition 26" barrel

ShortMag3

I tried it in a 280 but never got around to chrono-ing it as the groups were not to my standards no matter what bullett i used

Here is the first of a few tests with a 7 Rem Mag and RL-17.

First the specifications on the rifle:

24" Remington SS takeoff barrel chambered for 7 Rem Mag, setback a thread and rechambered to fit the model 700 action. The reamer is unknown to me owned by Harry Lawson Co. (when I rebarrel again I'll use my new Pacific Tool and Gauge reamer which was recently used for a 30" barrel project)

The barrel has 514 rounds through it before today's test.
Win brass fired 3 times, partially FL sized with RCBS die
168 Berger VLD,moly coated, seated .020" into rifling
Redding comp seating die
Fed 215 primers
RL-17

Temperatures ranged from 85-88 degrees F
CO2 was used to cool down barrel to ambient temp every two rounds
CED M2 Chronograph 10 feet from muzzle

Worked up charges in 1 gr increments:

60 gr ave 2895
61 gr ave 2968
62 gr ave 3011
63 gr ave 3059
64 gr ave 3090
65 gr ave 3157 two of four cases had slight bolt lift and slight shiny extractor mark

The most accurate load was the 63 grain load. It had three of the four shots in a group of .416" with the fourth shot opening it to 1".

---------------------------

Back in November 2007 I tried the moly coated 168 VLDs with RL-22 and RL-25 with this same barrel and components:
RL-22 yielded the highest velocity of 3065 with 70 gr and no signs of pressure.
Pressure showed at 70.5 grs.
temps in the 60s
Most accurate load which was NOT very accurate was 69 gr of RL-22 ave velocity 3015
Do not know seating depth, pre stony pt gauge

-------------------------------

RL-25's most accurate load (also in Nov and not very accurate) was with 70 gr ave velocity 2895

I did tweak the seating depths with both RL-22 and RL-25 with poor results. Seating depths ranged from kissing the rifling (small rifling marks seen after steel wool polishing, again no stony pt gauge) to a jump of .040". Since this time Berger has suggested awide range of seating depths some of which are far larger than .040" Perhaps those loads could be tweaked into accuracy but I won't bother now.

Tomorrow I will try some 140 nosler ballistic tips and will report back.

I fashioned my own a few years ago..I went in to the welding supply shop that supplied my high school where I was a vocational teacher for 18 years and they took the time to help me try several regulators for the proper flow. I bought a tank and a small hose that slides into the chamber. It is amazing how fast a barrel can be cooled down. It is somewhat pricey to fill those tanks but for a fast no hassle load workup nothing touches it.

I shot 24 rounds in 1/2 hr today.

I can supply you with the model number of the regulator if you like.

yes, I am curious about your setup. How long does it take to cool between shots? Wonder how it affects tempering etc?

I love it, with my 'short' pistol barrel(17.5'') its awesome! its chambered in 7wsm. today I had a 10 round ladder test loaded up. previously with 4831sc I was able to get 2650 before I saw pressure signs, today with r17 I shot all 10 and I am pushing a 168smk at 2840. that's without any pressure signs! so I have to go back to the bench and see how fast I can get them going... minus two I pulled they are all well within 2'' @ 200 yards.

Getting a boost like that in a short barreled 7 WSM is great! The 7 rem mag and the 7 WSM are almost identical in capacity. That H4831 is just too slow for that short barrel, has to be the big difference.

--------------------

I can cool the 7 rem mag after two shots in around 20-30 seconds. I had done extensive tests with several barrels and a thermometer. The barrel can be shot cool, not cold, with no ill effects to accuracy. Letting the barrel cool normally, cool fast and then warm up to ambient OR cool and just shoot give the same results. I define cool as slightly below ambient not more than 10 or 15 degrees.

As for changing the metal no way! There is no moisture either...CO2 prevents it. I suppose some water vapor could condense on the inside and outside if you let it get really cold in a humid environment.... we have not seen any evidence of moisture inside or outside with some cooling.

I hope the Obama team doesn't read about us using CO2. There are four of us that have this setup. Say...no wonder it is hotter the last few summers. It is my fault!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.