Anyone try Reloader 17 yet?

Al Gore is a complete tool so your secret is safe with me. Global warming and Y2K go hand in hand in my very well-educated, not so humble opinion (VWENSHO). What gauges, regulators, PSI etc are you using? How many cool offs per tank? As long as the barrel never cools below ambient there should be no vapor unless it is coming from the tank i would think.

Paul, I have observed the same as you as far as reports in the forums. On personal experience, I got 3193 with 67 gr of RL17 and 180 E-Tips out of my 300 WSM which is 200 fps more thn I was getting out of H4350 (66.5 gr). I also got a very respectable 2935 with 65.5 gr of RL17 pushing 210 Bergers. However, unlike bounty Bounty Hunter my 168 TTSX's didn't do so well. I only got 3071 out of them with 65.5 gr of RL17 which is till slightly better than what I was getting.

So the results seem to be very mixed. It may be a finicky powder. I have read from a couple of guys who got good results in their .06

I know i will be trying it in other cartriges like the 7mm RM and the 300 RUM with GS HV 177's which tend need a little faster burning powder than Retumbo.

Wow.. I am getting 3192 w/ 185 grain Bergers out of my 300 RUM w/ 96 grains of H1000. I am about ready to set up turrets for my Huskemaw scope but you are getting the same results w/ about 50% less powder. I wonder how it would work in a RUM? I switched to H1000 for the temp sensitivity and consistency.

NHeninge,

The regulator is a prest-o-lite inert gas R-36-500-580
Tank is a 20 pounder
I can do 5 or 6 sessions like today. Today's session was two shots and cool for total of 11 coolings, 24 rounds.

I don't always use it. Usually only when in a hurry with one rifle or during the hottest part of the year like right now.

--------------------------

BH:

RL-17 is not going to work in the RUM. If you are looking for a powder like RL-17 with its longer burning/pressure curve wait till the slower one comes out. I don't know what Alliant is going to call it but it was announced earlier this year that they are coming out with a slower burning powder that has similar qualities to RL-17.

If you studied the earlier posts and my first results I had with the 7 Rem mag you would have realized that there really is little gain in velocity with RL-17 over RL-22 or RL-25. RL-17 is billed at a great powder for the midsized cases like the 6mm rem, 6XC, the WSMs and the 284 win and its offspring. I just had to see if it would work in the 7 mag and so far it doesn't jump out with greater velocities like my 284 did. Still testing.

For what is it worth I get 3200 fps with the 200 gr accubond and RL-25 in my 300 RUM. It is a 27" lilja SS. I think what you are now using will be far better than using RL-17

Wow.. I am getting 3192 w/ 185 grain Bergers out of my 300 RUM w/ 96 grains of H1000. I am about ready to set up turrets for my Huskemaw scope but you are getting the same results w/ about 50% less powder. I wonder how it would work in a RUM? I switched to H1000 for the temp sensitivity and consistency.

BH, I would think you should be getting more velocity with those 185 Bergers out of your 300 RUM with H1000. How long is you barrel? You might try some Retumbo or different bullets. You should be getting about 3200 or so with 200 gr bullets and well over 3300 with 180 gr bullets. Like AZshooter said, most 300 RUM loads require a slower burnng powder. In the case of the GS HV 177's, I am expecting velocites of 3500-3600 fps and a faster burning powder than Retumbo will probably work best for them. I'm plannig on giving RL17 a try with them, but dont really know what to expect.

It is interesting though, that for about 6% more increase in velocity (200 fps: 3200fps vs 3400 fps) for a 180 bullet you need a 42% increase in powder in the RUM. Kinda makes you wonder...

Last edited:
It looks like R17 just turned your WSM into a RUM. Did you have a good ES? I own a Kimber 300 WSM that is more packable than my RUM. Of course I would lose 100 ft/sec w/ my 24 inch barrel. I must try it. What rifle to put that scope on..The kimber would be perfect for a NF compact...I just switched from R25 to H1000 in the RUM.

I have an older prochrony that's about 15 years old. The sensors are only 1' apart. I do think it's *fairly* accurate because other loads seem to match fairly close to published data in velocity and factory loads also matcth fairly close. The first 3 shots had an ES of 19 and the fourth made it 46. I have been fairly careful with my reloading practices but haven't culled much brass except by case legnth. I've been using a Redding neck die and competition seater, but will be switching to the Type "S" competiton bushing dies in the 300 RUM, complete with turned necks. The brass in the WSM have been fired anywhere from once to four times, so there may be a little difference in case stretch/capacity and neck hardness/tension. This was just for initial load development. Tha accuracy in this rifle is not good with any factory ammo or handload, so I cant comement on the powders accuracy for this gun and load other than it's consistant with other loads.

Yeah, it's quite close to RUM performance, 200 fps more than what I was getting with H4350. I would really like to see someone try it in a 7mm or 300 Dakota which has about the same diameter case as the WSM (and RUM). I think the Dakota could possibly give the RUM a real run for it's money.

It will be very interesting to see the "slow burning counter part" to RL17. Hopefully these powders are temp stable. Last year hunting temps ranged from 75 in Oct, hunting antelope to -10 in Dec hunting late season elk. Temp stable powder is crititcal here for LRH. RL22 wont cut it for me although it's a good velocity performer.

Last edited:
MR: I wasn't questioning what you said just surprised by the performance. My Rum an off the shelf gun that I bedded and tuned the trigger on. The barrel is 26", I bought it the year they came out. I purchased a pro chrono just recently. I have it set up 15' from the barrel. I have very little experience w/ a chrono. I assume that when everyone says they are getting x fps out of their gun measured at the barrel it is actually 15 ft approx from the barrel?? Whatever the difference would be I assume it would be minimal. I did actually try Retumbo also and there wasn't much difference in velocity. I was also dissapointed by the velocity. 96 gr of H1000 was the most accurate load so that is what I settled on so far. I just loaded up the Bergers and out of the 5 loads I tested all but one were under 1".
Brad

BH:

Many years one of the Sierra Techs told me to measure the distance from the muzzle to the center of the chronograph in feet and multiply that distance by 2.1 fps . Example: if distance is 10 ft then add 21 fps to instrumental speed for actual speed.

----------------------

Went out today to see how the RL-17 would work in that previously mentioned 24" 7 Rem Mag with moly coated 140 nosler ballistic tips.

Temps again were warm beginning with 80 degrees at 6:30 AM and escalating from there.

64 gr ave velocity 3210
65 gr ave 3255
66 gr ave 3285
67 gr ave 3330

Accuracy was nothing to rave about.

This is all I loaded....no pressure signs. I will load up with higher charge weights and try this wednesday.

FYI the same 140 with RL-22 has outstanding accuracy. Pet load is 74 grains IN THIS RIFLE.
Velocity is 3350. Same load with 140 accubond is 3375. Both bullets have same POI at 100 yds.

AZShooter,

Thanks for posting the MV information. In my 24 3/8" Tikka T3, I was shooting 140 Nosler ABs @3250 fps using RL22. Maximum pressure load was between 3250-3300 - less than 3300 fps.

I never shot the moly-coated bullets.

MR: I wasn't questioning what you said just surprised by the performance. My Rum an off the shelf gun that I bedded and tuned the trigger on. The barrel is 26", I bought it the year they came out. I purchased a pro chrono just recently. I have it set up 15' from the barrel. I have very little experience w/ a chrono. I assume that when everyone says they are getting x fps out of their gun measured at the barrel it is actually 15 ft approx from the barrel?? Whatever the difference would be I assume it would be minimal. I did actually try Retumbo also and there wasn't much difference in velocity. I was also dissapointed by the velocity. 96 gr of H1000 was the most accurate load so that is what I settled on so far. I just loaded up the Bergers and out of the 5 loads I tested all but one were under 1".
Brad

BH, no worries, I didn't think you were questioning the data. I just posted that for informational background.

I corrected the velocities for the distance of 14' from my muzzle to the chrony. I used 8 fps and I determined that by running a BC calc for similar bullet BC and velocity and checking the differencr from muzzle to 100 yds (300') and mathematically worked out the loss in fps per foot and multiplied by 14.

You might try some heavier bullets to get more bang for the buck out of a powder like Retumbo. I would suggest 200 AB's and 210 Bergers. I'll be trying them as well out of my RUM with Retumbo and H1000. Also, if you get a 1" group @ 100 yds, you should check @ 200 and 300 yds. Your groups might still be 1" out there as it sometimes takes a couple of hundred yards for some bullets to "go to sleep".

Best,

Mark

I may load up some 210's. I am a recent convert from the 168 TSX's, and my gun has typically shot better w/ the 200's. The only thing I didn't like was the recoil. At 100 yds my load is shooting .6" and at 200 it was right at 1.2". I would like to load up my WSM w/ R17, however.
Brad

I have had very good success with RL17 powder and the 250 grain accubond in a Winchester model 70 extreme weather. I had started out with data from some previous posts stating that it was similar to Imr 4350 and worked my way up to 68 grains of RL17 in Winchester brass. This load was clocking at 2825 fps. I am now shooting Nosler brass and found that the Nosler brass required 69.5 grains of RL17 to match the same velocity. This load has proven to be very accurate in my rifle with groups under 1 inch at 200 yards on a regular basis....recently 3 shots all connected inside each other. This load has now been shot in 3 different rifles with no signs of pressure or excessive case wear. Velocity deviation is normally between 2815-2825 fps. This load should be considered as a max load based upon all load data I have seen. As an FYI......the Nosler brass was approximately 20 grains less in average weight than the Winchester brass and the case capacity difference required the additional charge to match velocity.

WLRM primers
26 inch barrel
3.34 oal

I've used RL#17 for loads in my .338 Win Mag with great results ,.. I use 225gr. Nosler Accubonds to top them off with,.. Fantastic load for elk type critters,.. :D

remington brass
65.9 grains RL#17
2793 fps
3.34- COL
24" barrel
CCI Mag Primers

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.