Anyone try out the .338 285gr Hornady's

Larry87

Just like the title says just wanting to know if anyone has tried them and their thoughts about them so far.

I got a 1000 from Hornady and Joel Russo got 500 of them. I have not had time to wring them out.

However, after talking with Dave Tooley who has shot them thru inception, tests to production, I think they will be very very good based on what Dave is saying. He thinks they are one of the best production bullets he has seen.

BH

Have they actually reached stores? The last time I checked they were still unavailable.

Accroding to Midway's website they have some in stock. I still have 45 250 SMK and 100 Berger Hybris to shoot through before I order any more bullets. SO hopefully they'll be a little more available by then.

What type of BC do you think they will have. Might be good out of my 338 NM. L ooked them up .720 bc

Last edited:
If I was shooting a 300 hybrid for my accuracy at 2685 velocity. Any guess on the velocity with the 285 gr. Wonder difference at 1000 type for drop and E.

i shot some of these today and for just throwing them together and shooting, i would say they are as accurate as the Sierra's. at least in my gun. only shot at 100 but they'll make one hole. no, haven't shot them at distance or used the chrono. based on what i've seen from Hornady bullets in the past, these will make a better LR deer bullet than the 300 SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts