Anyone try Berger 185's with Varget in a .308?

KS

Anyone try Berger 185\'s with Varget in a .308?

I know you guys are more into the EXTREME ranges but can't think of a group better qualified to answer some LR questions.

I'm thinking of trying these in my LRP-1 (Lothor Walther 1-10", NXS 3.5x-15x-50mm)when it gets here. This rifle is a Tactical rifle built by Jeff Hicks (who posts as "CELT"). I will use it for Tactical Matches ranging up to 1000yds.

I just got off the phone with Walt Berger and he suggested the 185's would shoot good at 1000yds and even suggested H380, along with 4064, RL15, N150. He said that he has not tried Varget with them but "had heard good things about it". I have some left over Berger 190's from a 300 WinMag. I'll try these too. I have atleast 700 175 MK's that will most likely be THE bullet but just for S&G's I thought I would give these a try.
I will try the 175 MK's, 185 Bergers, and maybe the 190 Bergers. I know the heavier bullets would be more suitable with a WinMag or RUM. I will shooting whatever I end up with from magazine length OAL. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Keith

Re: Anyone try Berger 185\'s with Varget in a .308?

Outstanding Choice....

Start with 42 GRAINS, and work your way up in three tenths increments.
wink.gif

Thanks S1,
Can you think of a better powder choice for the 185gr in a 308? Any idea what MV I would need to stay supersonic at 1K?

thanks,
Keith

I think a compressed load of H 4350 is worth checking out. Have got impressive velocity and accuracy with H 4350. This would be the first powder I would compare to Varget.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.