Anyone tried 6.5 130gr Scirocco 2?

dwhunts

Has anyone tried the .264 130gr Scirocco 2? I'm thinking of trying it and would like some opinions. I'll be loading it in a 6.5x.284 Norma. However, mine is a short action, so I need to keep my COL 2.9" or less, for them to fit in the magazine. My barrel is a 26" 1-8 ratchet rifled Shilen. Do you guys think I can make it work in this setup? Is the advertised .571 BC accurate? Seems high to me, for a 130. How good is it in the field, and at the range?

That's what I'm presently shooting in my 6.5 rem mag. Always had a hard time finding an accurate load with Scirroccos but decided to try them because of the high BC. They shoot better than any other Scirroccos in other calibers.

I think the BC is a little high also. The reason is that my load with a 6.5 rem mag 26" Douglas barrel and RL17 is pushing 3200 fps and according to the Zeiss website should allow me to shoot my RapidZ 800 reticle at 14 power. After zeroing at 200 yards and then shooting at 300 and 400 yards I have had to dial the power down to ~12 power to get the right elevation. That would indicate a lower BC than listed. But it is a work in progress.

Have not shot any game with it but it should be good.

6.5 rem mag, this was one of the cartridges I considered when I planned this build. To be honest, I would've rather had it than the 6.5x.284. But you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a short action that will take a belted case. Unless you want to spend big bucks. Remington sure didn't make many. All this could be remedied if Winchester would wise up and make a 6.5/.264 WSM. I don't get it; this cartridge seems like a no-brainer to me. I've been waiting 10 years tho', and I guess it ain't happening.

What powder are you using? How far off the lands are you seating the bullet? What was the key to finding your pet load, charge weight, seating depth, primer, or a combination of everything? You are certainly not the first one I've heard say this bullet is fickle. I wonder if Swift has any insight?

Well my advice would be to build one on a long action. There is a plethora of actions out there with a .532" bolt face. Both of the ones I rebarreled chamber loads from the mag without a glitch.

The powder I'm using is RL17 although RL22 and RL25 also gave excellent results. Since I didn't have any load data I did a couple of Audettes starting low and then did a seating depth variance test to check

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

1211.jpg

Plenty of room in a long action mag to seat bullets way out

HPIM1163.jpg

HPIM1160.jpg

Mine also shot the 140 gr Sierra Game King, 140 gr Accubond, 130 gr Accubond & 140 gr Hornady Interlock very very well.

Thank you for the information, and for taking the time to send it out. This is very helpful. Without totally trusting the BC on the scirocco, I think I'll have to do a comparison test with the accubond. If the BC's look more similar than they are advertised, I think I'll go with which ever is most accurate. I just can't see the BC's being that different. What's the length of the scirocco? The accubond is 1.32".

I've been using them in my 6.5 rum at 3500 FPS. Good bullet performance even at very close shots. Have made several shots on deer around 400 yards and it blows big holes out the back side. We moly coat them. Typically will shot 1" at 300 yards on a good day. Flatest shooting big game rifle I've ever seen out to 6-7 hundred yards

I read a test on 6.5 bullets, Sciroccos were next to Barnes TSX as far as penatration and retained weight. I am going to be trying some in my 6.5 Swede as a they arrive.

I have shot them in several of my 6.5 rifles with good results. The fastest is my 264 STW shooting these bullets over 3500 fps. It is an amazing flat shooting killer. Mine do best off the lands.

I sent an email to Swift, they called me and said they recommend .030 to .050 off the lands. They also said 6.5x.284 Norma will be in their next manual, due out in about eight months. I also called my gunsmith this morning and my rifle is done. All and all it's been a pretty good day. Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread, keep the information coming, I'll keep reading. I feel compelled to say, I'm new to this forum. I've spent a lot of time on another forum which is dominated by long-range competition guys. It sure is nice to find a place where people are shooting long range for the same reasons as myself. Those competition guys are kind of snobby, especially when they find out your a hunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.