Anyone "transitioned" from .338 LM to .33XC?

tobnpr

Getting ready to spin up a new tube for my son's .338 LM.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of significantly better ballistics from a Lapua-size action (and standard size dies).
Single loading isn't really an issue, but wondering whether the performance is worth the significantly reduced barrel life (I expect 500-1K?)
The Lapua is certainly capable out to the 2K available, but considering this option.

Anyone rebarrel (or re-chamber) their Lapua to the 33XC?

Havent done an xc but i did a lapua improved. Love it. 285 eldm at 2980fps and lots better barrel life than the xc i assume. That being said i still wanna try an XC haha

Last edited:
I had a 338 LM improved from Lane Precision Rifles. It was built on an LPR custom defiance single shot action. I had it rebelled to a 33XC. I'm sure I did something wrong because load development was stupid easy. It's very accurate and has great velocity and it's not showing a single bit of pressure. The only thing to look out for is depending on how far out you are seating, or COAL, you might have to release the bolt if you are ejecting a live round. It might be too long for the ejection port.

Getting ready to spin up a new tube for my son's .338 LM.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of significantly better ballistics from a Lapua-size action (and standard size dies).
Single loading isn't really an issue, but wondering whether the performance is worth the significantly reduced barrel life (I expect 500-1K?)
The Lapua is certainly capable out to the 2K available, but considering this option.

Anyone rebarrel (or re-chamber) their Lapua to the 33XC?
I have.I went from a Savage 112 Target Action in 338 Lapua Magnum to a 33XC.It shoots great and much better velocity.
My shooting partner also madethe change prior to mine.He used ther Savage 110Elite in 338 LM in a MDT chassis.He also screwedthe barrel and didnt use the Nut.The 112 is a bigger stouster action than the 110.With trhat saiid he has won and placed in King of 2 Mile competitions.He ith one who suggested me using the 112.
My other 33XCison a Stiller Tac Driver Action.It was a 338 Edge.

I have.I went from a Savage 112 Target Action in 338 Lapua Magnum to a 33XC.It shoots great and much better velocity.
My shooting partner also madethe change prior to mine.He used ther Savage 110Elite in 338 LM in a MDT chassis.He also screwedthe barrel and didnt use the Nut.The 112 is a bigger stouster action than the 110.With trhat saiid he has won and placed in King of 2 Mile competitions.He ith one who suggested me using the 112.
Excellent info, whats your partners name?

JH

Just a slight deviation from a horizontal plane.

I somehow managed to skip all the hoopla surrounding the .338 Lapua. Just because the military adopted it, it did not necessarily appeal to me so much that I had to have one. I built quite a few for clients but never one for myself. However...

I (we) often used the large Sako actions (sometimes a Brevex when we could find one) for building the .338-378 Weatherby. Simply and in reality, this is the .33XC just with a belt and with a radius shoulder. Lots of long range hunters knew about the Weatherby cartridge before the Lapua showed it's face. That has since changed dramatically with the Lapua running circles around the Weatherby as far as demand is concerned and since we have access to several actions capable of managing the Lapua case.

I don't feel shorted by not shooting a Lapua since I normally will shoot the .338 Norma Mag., .338 XC (.338-378 WBY), and the .338 SnipeTac (CheyTac) and the earlier .338 Excalibur.

Choices are great!

:)

If you visit the Savage Shooter site you will find a page with a list of topics they have made stickys out of, including using the 338 lapua cartridge on Savage actions.
Mind you i have no qualified opinion on that subject, and wasent involved in the debates.
But there is a gunsmith in Ohio who owns a company called Sharpshooter Supply, and he is the Savage guru on that site.
Apparently much of his business and knowledge revolves around Savage products.
He claims that the Savage actions ( should not ) be used on those type cartridges, and he explains why.
Of coarse there were those who disagree with him.
Basically saying that they have one and it hasent blown up.
However, if i were inclined to build a 338 on a Savage action, id want to read his opinion about it.

If you visit the Savage Shooter site you will find a page with a list of topics they have made stickys out of, including using the 338 lapua cartridge on Savage actions.
Mind you i have no qualified opinion on that subject, and wasent involved in the debates.
But there is a gunsmith in Ohio who owns a company called Sharpshooter Supply, and he is the Savage guru on that site.
Apparently much of his business and knowledge revolves around Savage products.
He claims that the Savage actions ( should not ) be used on those type cartridges, and he explains why.
Of coarse there were those who disagree with him.
Basically saying that they have one and it hasent blown up.
However, if i were inclined to build a 338 on a Savage action, id want to read his opinion about it.
Opinions. Aren't they wondetful? I built(had built) a 338-378 Weatherby on a 110 action. It was ok....till it wasn't. Granted, it was my. Stupidity, for lack of a better word, that led to its demise., but I was of the OPINION that the build would be fine. I got really really, no, REALLY lucky it never blew up in my face. Several smiths I talked to said No Way. But I found a guy who would do it, so away we went! Except, it NEVER performed the way I thought it should. I took to calling it the 338 Tinkeree, cause I was always tinkering with the danged thing. Right away, I had(what I recognize now as) extraction issues. Prolly lug set back related. But I persivered. And Tinkered. And ultimately, locked it up from a rookie mistake. Glad I did, in hind sight. The point is, some people have EXPERIENCE. Every one else, has OPINIONS. We should endeavor to listen to EXPERIENCE. I wish I had listened to that guy in Ohio.... I'd be further ahead.

Opinions. Aren't they wondetful? I built(had built) a 338-378 Weatherby on a 110 action. It was ok....till it wasn't. Granted, it was my. Stupidity, for lack of a better word, that led to its demise., but I was of the OPINION that the build would be fine. I got really really, no, REALLY lucky it never blew up in my face. Several smiths I talked to said No Way. But I found a guy who would do it, so away we went! Except, it NEVER performed the way I thought it should. I took to calling it the 338 Tinkeree, cause I was always tinkering with the danged thing. Right away, I had(what I recognize now as) extraction issues. Prolly lug set back related. But I persivered. And Tinkered. And ultimately, locked it up from a rookie mistake. Glad I did, in hind sight. The point is, some people have EXPERIENCE. Every one else, has OPINIONS. We should endeavor to listen to EXPERIENCE. I wish I had listened to that guy in Ohio.... I'd be further ahead.
I bought a savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua 10 years ago,
3C7C83D3-C0B9-4204-B4CE-FAB1F1517881.jpeg
I have had a load that was traveling at 3100 feet a second so loaded kind of hot. I have not had a single issue yet. It's on its third barrel now.