Anyone shot the 338cal 265gr TTSX yet?

groper

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this new bullet yet?

If so, any load data would be great, this maybe the next best thing since the 300SMK was born...

Any idea what the B.C. of this bullet is?

I bet it is higher than the Berger .338 calibre bullets! Oh hang on? Berger don't have one yet.

I have shot three out of my Edge over the Pact kind of a pressure ladder. 95-97 of H1000 2891-2931fps grouped in the 3s. This was out of 28 Broughton this chamber has a long throat. Looks like I should of started at 97grs. I will go up to 100 on my next trip to the range. Seated too fit my 3.9 in magizine they just start crunching at 97grs. of H1000. Might need to try 7828 or RL22. The BC should be over 700 I hope. I wish that they will open at extended ranges. Big spring bears should work for test medium...

Slewfoot

I talked 2 a tech at barnes 4 some b.c.# 4 their new bullets.

TTSX 338cal 265gr=.575

TTSX 30cal.200gr=.546

im surprised that there that low.... afterall, the 265gr ttsx bullets are longer than a 300SMK...

And it annoys the hell outa me why they bother to quote a G1 BC when a pointy boat tail bullet clearly fits the G7 model more appropriately.

i guess the proof will be in the shooting...

keep us posted, ill post my results once ive shot them next week...

The monometal TSX does not have the same mass as a lead core bullet and therefore has a lower BC even if it is it longer. Still sounds like a good bullet to me!

well that not always true, i also shoot banded copper solids for target work that are approx the same length as the 300SMK yet they have a higher BC AND they only weigh 235gr...

go figure...

I talked with the tech at Barnes also, 575 BC is what he said I didnt have a chance too post. He said something about the bans caused more drag.
It would be nice if I can get the speed up with low ES and bugholes. I have more loaded hope too shoot by this weekend will post results...

Slewfoot

Just looking at it I thought the bc would be higher. I don't think the bands would have much effect on it. In missile work I was involved in flow field dynamics some simulating turbulence over the nose cone of a missile and photographing it. High speed photography showed the turbulence flow field was well beyond the side of the missile and with a bullet I would assume well out beyond the bands or canelure of bullets. In other words the turbulence created by the point of the bullet as it slices through the air is directed away from the side of the bullet depending on the angle of the point. This leaves a little void where the bands would be without as much air flow over it so the resistance of the bands should be minimal. I wish I could explain that better without writing a thesis. May or may not be true with bullets anyway but I would assume the same principles would apply.

yep you are correct LTLR, and more proof in the pudding is all the excellent very high BC banded solids we are seeing in .338 .375 .408 .50BMG etc... all have bands yet very low drag... i cant see too much dissimilarity between these and the TTSX...

If i werent so cynical id refrain from saying 'barnes probably havnt even tested the BC of this bullet yet' but thats just me :D

Agustus, These are the ones im shooting Projectiles

'Black diamond 408' is also shooting them in his 375-408 CT, and they are giving him exceptional accuracy... you can read his results in the banded soilds test thread.

Those predator bullets look good. Doesn't sound like they'd be great hunting bullets. Anyone tried them hunting? Groper?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.