Anyone shooting the 160 matrix in there 264 win mags

lee31

Been kicking around the idea of trying some of these bullets. Right now I am running 140 begers at 3280fps with 70 grains of Retumbo. Out of a 27.75 inch 8 twist Brux . I am getting around 3/8ths moa . I actually shot a 3 shot group this weekend that was .994 @507 yards . Most of the time at that range its around 1.75 -3 inches . But I have shot a good handful of 1.5 or less groups at that range. I was thinking if I could run the 160s at 3000-3100 that it would be a hammer. But I need to run the numbers to see if there would be much of a difference out to 1200 yards. That's all the range I have. But I thought that it would be a kick *** elk round. Any thoughts.

Been kicking around the idea of trying some of these bullets. Right now I am running 140 begers at 3280fps with 70 grains of Retumbo. Out of a 27.75 inch 8 twist Brux . I am getting around 3/8ths moa . I actually shot a 3 shot group this weekend that was .994 @507 yards . Most of the time at that range its around 1.75 -3 inches . But I have shot a good handful of 1.5 or less groups at that range. I was thinking if I could run the 160s at 3000-3100 that it would be a hammer. But I need to run the numbers to see if there would be much of a difference out to 1200 yards. That's all the range I have. But I thought that it would be a kick *** elk round. Any thoughts.

If I had a load that would shoot 1" at 500 yards...........I would work on a load for one of my other rifles and leave that one the hell alone, but that's just me. :rolleyes: Seriously, good shooting and good luck with trying to improve on that group.

If I had a load that would shoot 1" at 500 yards...........I would work on a load for one of my other rifles and leave that one the hell alone, but that's just me. :rolleyes: Seriously, good shooting and good luck with trying to improve on that group.

I don't think I will ever shoot another group that good again. Usually they are around 2-3 inches at that range which is really good . I did notice on Saturday I had a couple pieces of brass that had ejector marks on them. I have never had that before but I just started using a new jug of Retumbo I dunno if its a little hotter than the previous jugs or not. I think I'm gonna drop two tenths of a grain this weekend and see if that helps.

Pics of group this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20150228_172120_267.jpg
    IMG_20150228_172120_267.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20150228_171950_555.jpg
    IMG_20150228_171950_555.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 73
The wind was pretty stiff on sat I dialed a minute and was still hitting a good 6-8 inches left of center. I was figuring around 5-7 mph but it must of been around 12 -15. I didn't have my wind meter with me.

Lots of guys shoot them out of the 6.5 Sherman. I would run the numbers on the 150 Matrix as well. This bullet shoots good out of my Sherman. But to early to say how good. Just starting serious load development.

I don't have any experience with them in the WinMag but they rock a solid 3100fps out of my 6.5wsm with no pressure even at 95* when we did our last class.

Accuracy has been fantastic, 3 rounds at 200yds printed just over 1/2". I will say though that terminal performance shocked me. I put 2 rounds into a large mule deer last year at 150yds, neither bullet exited. He died of course but they definitely didn't care for impacts at that velocity. I think performance will be exceptional at the ranges I built this rifle for.

t

I have come to expect complete systematic disintegration to happen in roughly 12" of penetration through an animal when the impact velocity is greater than 2500 fps.(around the 400 yard mark for one load, 525 for the other) beyond that they will start to exit. YMMV

Cliff

I have come to expect complete systematic disintegration to happen in roughly 12" of penetration through an animal when the impact velocity is greater than 2500 fps.(around the 400 yard mark for one load, 525 for the other) beyond that they will start to exit. YMMV

Cliff

Actually, I don't think my mileage will vary much if any at all :D. I think you're estimates are very close, I personally expected (SWAGed) that the 160 would exit in the 400-500yd range on a consistent basis.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.