Anyone shooting lead free 30-06?

If you can developed a better load than the advertised ballistic info (extracted from their website) in Nosler's 180g BT loaded ammo below, you might be close or meet your goal ...

Nosler%20180%20BT%20ammo_zps3llp7qrv.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

Assuming that your 30-06 is a 1-10" twist, the 181g Hammer Hunter will give you 50 to 100 yards more effective range than the 166g Hammer Hunter. I don't know the elevation that you will be hunting at so I chose 2000' elevation to run some quick numbers. You should be able run the 181g Hammers at 2750fps give or take. This would give you an effective range to 700 yards. This would keep you in the 1800+/- impact velocity. We have tested our bullets down to 1800fps to ensure that they will open effectively. I personally like 1800fps as a velocity floor even if the bullet will open at a lower velocity based on the amount of permanent wound channel produced.

You will find the Hammers very easy to load for accuracy, they are very tolerant to seating depth. They will follow very closely to conventional 180g load data. They will usually run slightly lower pressure.

Thanks guys for the good comments.

Steve

I'm working on setting up my 30-06 hunting rifle
for 700 type 800 yard shots. I don't currently shot lead free but CA law wl be going into effect I. The next couple years where I will have too. I was wondering anyone was reloading lead free 30-06? Any suggestions

how is it shooting at 700 to 800 yards now ?

You might try the Hornady 173gr ELD-X Hodgdon has it at 2881fps with superformance and if you run the ballistics zeroed at 250 yards mid range is 3.1 inches high and at 800 yards it is 142 inches low with a good 1708fps and 1120ft lbs of energy. Just a thought.

You might try the Hornady 173gr ELD-X Hodgdon has it at 2881fps with superformance and if you run the ballistics zeroed at 250 yards mid range is 3.1 inches high and at 800 yards it is 142 inches low with a good 1708fps and 1120ft lbs of energy. Just a thought.

Except, it's not lead free per OP's requirement ...

ELD-X_zpspqdultkx.jpg

(http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-X)

Cheers!

Savage 110D in 30-06
I don't know the twist rate, it had previously grouped well with 150's when I first got it years ago.

7-800 I don't know, my thought was to set he rifle up for long range so I could learn and gt comfortable at those distances.

I haven't shot it any farther then 2-300 yards. I was not getting g good groups recently, so I pillar and glass bedded the rifle and I might get it re-crowned as well. New scope and rings are in the mail.

I have a hunt in October and as long as I have time I plan to take all of the info you guys have provided and work up a load.

Thank you all for the input and advise. Hopefully I can post some updates and probably ask more questions.

Hunt- having loaded and shot nearly 2000 rds through a 30-06 at 200-600 yards in target/competition in a year; I can tell you the cheapest and easiest way is to get a rem 700 with a heavy Krieger barrel and start with a known accurate bullet like a berger 175 or matchking. then try the unleaded ones.

Ronin, thanks for the tip. it's not that I'm dead set on using a 30-06 for long range lead free hunting. It's that for now i need to make the best of what I have.
When I purchase a more appropriate long range rifle I plan to get a 7mm, 300, or 338.
For now I just want to make my 06 as capable as I can. I have a lot of practice and learning between me and 7 or 800 yards, so if I only get comfortable at 5 or 600, so be it.
If I get the gun put back together and I'm not getting good groups, then I'll be looking to buy.

the 30-06 is a great long range round. I have several 30-06 including a rem 700 long range that is very accurate and cheap. I would start with a bullet known for accuracy . my experience loading for more than an half a dozen 30-06s .... 175 berger ( or other berger) and 175 matchking( or other match king) ; lapua scenars . Varget and I-4064, H/I4350. lapua brass, 210M or Br-2 primer. i would then transition to the more expensive unleaded.

I was thinking of testing lead ammo to get the right weight, but won't the different size/construction/BC the accuracy when I transition to lead free?

Known baseline can be established with lead rounds that are known to do well in most .30-06s. Then when you switch to non-lead, you know what the rifle will do, and if the groups are not comparable, it is most likely the bullet. If you start with non-lead, you are not sure quite what it is, when it does not perform.

Known baseline can be established with lead rounds that are known to do well in most .30-06s. Then when you switch to non-lead, you know what the rifle will do, and if the groups are not comparable, it is most likely the bullet. If you start with non-lead, you are not sure quite what it is, when it does not perform.

Ah I see, that is a great point. I was kinda thinking about shooting some 150 win super X when I finished. That is what I had been shooting as when I first got the rifle it gave me the best groups.

But that's a very good idea, thanks for the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.