Anyone shooting Austin & Halleck rifles?

mcali2

I have 3 new A&H rifles 1 420 deluxe, 420 and a 360. all 50cals. Utah made, 26.5" barrels with 1:28 twist. I have shot all of them but dont know what they like. I found some old threads about using dead center bullets 340g sabots. and 100g 777. I have the 209 primer kits on them and a lot of buckhorn 209 powder. I have lots of bullets but all different kinds and weights. I like o start off with the best know round and charge and tune from there. I dont get much time off so and helpful info is greatly appreciated.

I have 3 new A&H rifles 1 420 deluxe, 420 and a 360. all 50cals. Utah made, 26.5" barrels with 1:28 twist. I have shot all of them but dont know what they like. I found some old threads about using dead center bullets 340g sabots. and 100g 777. I have the 209 primer kits on them and a lot of buckhorn 209 powder. I have lots of bullets but all different kinds and weights. I like o start off with the best know round and charge and tune from there. I dont get much time off so and helpful

See your post about the Austin and halleck guns. I really like the one I have it's a 420 made in Missouri I've found the best loads that work for me is 90 grains of buckhorn 209 and have used the thompson center 250 grain sabots with the plastic tip. I've also used some of Hornady's 250 sabots also. Mine shoot like a regular rifle at 100- 150 yards really impressive groups. I would like to change mine over to 209 primers I'm happy with everything but that! I love mine maybe I'll run across someone with a 209 changeover sometime.

I have a Austin Halleck and need a trigger.I bought the rifle and the trigger is screwed up. Anybody know where I can find a smith that will work on it or where to buy a replacement trigger? Thank you. Jeff

I have a Austin Halleck and need a trigger.I bought the rifle and the trigger is screwed up. Anybody know where I can find a smith that will work on it or where to buy a replacement trigger? Thank you. Jeff
The trigger on the Austin & Halleck is a Bold Trigger Assembly. I have seen them on eBay and if I'm not mistaken Brownells

My Austin and Halleck 420 has a Timney Trigger. I suggest you contact them. According to their website they have a Lifetime warranty on all their Triggers. As a side note I experienced what I can only describe as a "Slam Fire" I was at the range and the shooting was going along as normal. Then I closed the Bolt on my rifle and the weapon immediately discharged. My first thought was that I had inadvertently had my finger on the trigger and had caused the rifle to discharge. The next couple of rounds fired normally. I chastised myself for my stupidity and continued shooting. Low and behold the rifle experienced yet another discharge while closing the bolt. I knew that this time it was NOT my fault as I made a deliberate effort to ensure my finger was no where near the trigger when I closed the bolt. I then proceeded to cycle the bolt and experienced another premature discharge, this time however the rifle was not loaded. At this point I completely disassembled the rifle and discovered that the small bolts holding the trigger in place against the barrel were very loose. I removed the trigger cleaned the threads, applied lock-tite to them and reassembled the rifle. Now many many shots later I have not had that happen again. I've incorporated checking these bolts as part of my cleaning process. I'm sorry about the rant. I really like the Austin and Halleck. The wood is superb and the groups at 100 yds are amazing.

My Austin and Halleck 420 has a Timney Trigger. I suggest you contact them. According to their website they have a Lifetime warranty on all their Triggers. As a side note I experienced what I can only describe as a "Slam Fire" I was at the range and the shooting was going along as normal. Then I closed the Bolt on my rifle and the weapon immediately discharged. My first thought was that I had inadvertently had my finger on the trigger and had caused the rifle to discharge. The next couple of rounds fired normally. I chastised myself for my stupidity and continued shooting. Low and behold the rifle experienced yet another discharge while closing the bolt. I knew that this time it was NOT my fault as I made a deliberate effort to ensure my finger was no where near the trigger when I closed the bolt. I then proceeded to cycle the bolt and experienced another premature discharge, this time however the rifle was not loaded. At this point I completely disassembled the rifle and discovered that the small bolts holding the trigger in place against the barrel were very loose. I removed the trigger cleaned the threads, applied lock-tite to them and reassembled the rifle. Now many many shots later I have not had that happen again. I've incorporated checking these bolts as part of my cleaning process. I'm sorry about the rant. I really like the Austin and Halleck. The wood is superb and the groups at 100 yds are amazing.
Good luck with Timney! I have an old MK85 with a Timney trigger that the safety stopped working, Timney would not even look at it... They told me to deal with Knight and Knight told me to deal with Timney, just a regular circle jerk...

I will no longer buy any product from either of them...

after lots of shooting, I use the dead center 240g 40cal sabot 100g buckhorn with 209 primer. I was able to keep a 1.5-2 MOA. My kids held a 2-3 MOA After changing the sites over to ghost rings from XS sights. The new sights were so worth it. You will likely need to get the test kit to verify the height of the front sight needed. I have 3 rifles and had 3 different height blades.

See your post about the Austin and halleck guns. I really like the one I have it's a 420 made in Missouri I've found the best loads that work for me is 90 grains of buckhorn 209 and have used the thompson center 250 grain sabots with the plastic tip. I've also used some of Hornady's 250 sabots also. Mine shoot like a regular rifle at 100- 150 yards really impressive groups. I would like to change mine over to 209 primers I'm happy with everything but that! I love mine maybe I'll run across someone with a 209 changeover sometime.
I am surprised you're having such good luck with the Blackhorn 209 while not using 209 primers. By all accounts, that's not supposed to work but apparently you are having good luck with that.

I personally own or have owned three Austin Halleck 420s in both 50 and 45 cal. I have owned both the Provo Utah built rifles and the MO build rifles. I personally think the Provo rifles had a better build quality.

My "go-to" KISS load for my 50 cal. rifle is the TC 250 G bullet and two IMR white hot pellets (100 grains). I get very good groups at 100 yards which is about all I need here in Virginia.

Next year, I may be going to NM for an elk hunt and want to change up the AH to Blackhorn powder and am therefore interested in what others have to offer relative to their experiences.

I am surprised you're having such good luck with the Blackhorn 209 while not using 209 primers. By all accounts, that's not supposed to work but apparently you are having good luck with that.

I personally own or have owned three Austin Halleck 420s in both 50 and 45 cal. I have owned both the Provo Utah built rifles and the MO build rifles. I personally think the Provo rifles had a better build quality.

My "go-to" KISS load for my 50 cal. rifle is the TC 250 G bullet and two IMR white hot pellets (100 grains). I get very good groups at 100 yards which is about all I need here in Virginia.

Next year, I may be going to NM for an elk hunt and want to change up the AH to Blackhorn powder and am therefore interested in what others have to offer relative to their experiences.
It says on the container to use 209 primers too. But if it works with out?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.