Anyone shooting a Rem 700 SPS or the xcr rifle?

baranx4

The model I was looking for is unavailable and now I am looking at these two. I was wondering on their out of box accuracy. Also any pet peeves with either model?

I had a Remington 700 Tactical XCR in 300 Win mag. Could not get it to shoot and sent it back to Remington. They redid the crown and returned it to me with a target they had shot. Target was labeled 180 gr. 100 yd. Four shot grouped measured 1.8 inches. Apparently they thought that was good enough. I didn't so I had the action trued and installed a Kreiger barrel. Shoots fine now.

I have a remmy sps. Change the stock, have the action trued and bedded. Trigger is nothing special and the barrel isnt either. If I had to do it again I wouldnt pay 550$ for it.

Sorry to hear about your issues, now you have me thinking if I would be better off with a sendero or go for a kimber montana. I keep going back to the tikka t3 and it is the cheapest by far.

I have a Rem 700 SPS, that I glass and pillar bedded into a Boyds lam stock. With handloads and the factory Xmark trigger I was able to achieve 5/8ths 3 shot groups at 100yrds. I've been real happy with my SPS, but you definitley need to change the tupperware stock and may have to play with the x mark trigger to get the poundage your looking for. I posted pics in this thread: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lets-see-some-pics-you-300-win-groups-131734/ For me it's a great hunting gun to start learning long range with and can be developed into something even better, just depends how much cash you have at the time and if your actually into shooting or just posting pics of your rifle on forums, lol:)

Boyds stock for $99, Shilen trigger for ~$100. After that, it becomes a question of how bad the barrel is. My 223 barrel in an SPS was fine - accuracy wise, but it was a 1:12 so I ultimately had to sell it to get something that could shoot heavier bullets. My 8x57 in a Classic was not. Rebarreling is quite expensive and it might take 6 months or more depending on the smith, blank availability etc.

CBI and McGowan do Savage style barrel prefits that attach with a nut and can save you a lot of time and money waiting on gunsmithing. But the question is how long it will take to get your barrel ? I know that Mc Gowan advertised them many months before they actually started making them.

Four shot grouped measured 1.8 inches. Apparently they thought that was good enough.

Hahaha...I bet he was proud. I wonder if he went home and told his wife how well he shot that day?

I wouldn't hesitate to get a Tikka. I have handled one and the action was smooth as glass and it shot really well too.

I did some load development and installed Jewell in a SPS varmint 308, it won't miss out to 900, which is the farthest I have shot it. I am using lapua brass, br2 primers, Berger 175 vld over varget.

I have a 300 Rum SPS with a BC stock and a Vortex viper 4-16 its my light weight back pack rifle shoots 175 VLD's at 3250 4'' groups at 700 shoots fine .

My best friend hunts with a 700 SPS 300 Win Mag. & at 300 yds he get 2.25 inch groups. It is one cheap & ugly rifle but a shooter & he has shot two 5x5 Elk with it.
Lot of gun for money.

I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in 243. Win years ago and out of the box it shot 1/2 Moa out too 500 yards. I since then replaced the crappy stock, tuned the trigger (which will be replaced shortly) and started reloading. Unfortunately it won't stabilize the 105 vld's, but shoots the 87 gr vmax and the 95vld's well under 1/2 Moa!

I just bought a remington 700 xcr tac in 300. Win mag. The gentleman I bought it off of replaced the stock with an hs precision, and it came with the 40x trigger! He slapped on a muzzle break and tactical bolt knob and I've worked up a load I'm fine tuning shooting the 210 vld's around the 1/2 Moa at 100 (furthest tested since the weather).

I have an XCR in .338 RUM and a SPS in .243win. Both shoot very well (though the .243 has a really slow barrel but accurate).

I have pillar bedded and glass bedded both and stiffened the fore end of both. I am actually putting a laminate thumbhole on the .338, but I shot it for years past 1000 yards with the Tupper wear stock on it. They will shoot MOA usually with minimal work. If you don't know how to do the work and don't want to learn, spend the extra couple bucks for a better rifle.

I have one in 7mm08 and it has nothing done to it except free floar the stock. It shoots 1/2 min all day long. Veryy accurate rifle.

I have the sps-t in .308 - shoots fgmm 168's at .5. I also reload 175g SMK with Varget and tent to get .25-.75moa.

Id say its a 1 moa shooting gun even with that crappy stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.