Anyone shoot a 6mm Ackley?

mtwood24

Looking at getting one for long range coyotes and deer/elk... Is this a good choice? I would definitely like to keep the fur on the coyotes....

Looking at getting one for long range coyotes and deer/elk... Is this a good choice? I would definitely like to keep the fur on the coyotes....

that 6mm will literally cut them in half! Perhaps it might work better with a 1:8 twist and 105 grain bullets, but what most folks use will be very explosive on them. I had one for awhile, it was a for real 750 yard gun using 85 thru 90 grain bullets. Chamber is a little overbore, but not a lot like some rounds are. So you should have a good barrel life. Seems to work best with heavier bullets.

I shoot a 6mm/250AI these days and it still is pretty hard on coyote pelts, but is still good for 650 yards without much of an issue. The 6XC might be better for anything under 500 yards
gary

IMHO it seems light for elk...but deer etc...no problem. You can always load DOWN the cartridge for yotes to keep from blowing them apart. As far as reaching out to get one......no problem

A 6mm Ack. Imp. with a fast twist barrel should make for a very nice yote/deer gun. Bullet choice will be important if you want it to be fur friendly on yotes. I personally think it's to light a caliber for Elk.

Also, I would highly recommend building it on a long action. You'll get a lot more of its potential out of it if you build it on a long action instead of a short.

It's not real popular so sometimes finding brass can be hit or miss but it's out there if you look.

Sounds like a fun build and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I bought a Savage model 110 in .270 to use the action. I am just planning on selling the barrel on it and ordering this one in 6mm ackley.

A 6mm Ack. Imp. with a fast twist barrel should make for a very nice yote/deer gun. Bullet choice will be important if you want it to be fur friendly on yotes. I personally think it's to light a caliber for Elk.

Also, I would highly recommend building it on a long action. You'll get a lot more of its potential out of it if you build it on a long action instead of a short.

It's not real popular so sometimes finding brass can be hit or miss but it's out there if you look.

Sounds like a fun build and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The 6mm Rem. will work in a Remington 700 short action, but will be a complete pain to shoot as the actions just too short for the 57mm case length. A Mod. 70 is a little longer, and the Savage is about .150" longer and is still a little on the short side with 90 grain and bigger bullets.A long action Remington or a Savage would be my first choice.

Might also want to look at the .257 Roberts improved (there are several). Forster stocks .257AI dies without having to pay the premium. Plus the .257 Roberts is one fine deer round, but once again not really good for elk. There's also a 6.5x57 AI that's a very good round.
gary

Considering what you're all trying to do with just one caliber I think a straight 6.5-284 would be something to consider.

Theres no fireforming needed. Get a 1-8tw barrel and shoot anything you want all the way up to the high BC 140's and you can use Lapua brass.

IMHO, the 6.5-284 would be a better all around choice with alot less work. Just a thought....

Considering what you're all trying to do with just one caliber I think a straight 6.5-284 would be something to consider.

Theres no fireforming needed. Get a 1-8tw barrel and shoot anything you want all the way up to the high BC 140's and you can use Lapua brass.

IMHO, the 6.5-284 would be a better all around choice with alot less work. Just a thought....

the problem with the .284 stuff is that over the years we've all watched the case supply dissappear more than once. Pretty good round, but I'd take the 6.5-06 over it. I can get my hands on "06" brass just about anywhere at just about anytime. The OP already has a good elk rifle with the .270 Winchester, and he also has a long actioned rifle. The real problem with the 270 and either of these 6.5's is that they will literally blow a coyote to shreds, and he wants to save the pelts. Might be better off with a down loaded 22-250, or a 6BR and keep the 270 barrel to hunt elk with. But I'd send the barrel out and have it improved with a 1/2" setback. Then he has both worlds covered.
gary

I have a 1-12" twist 6mmAI built on a Savage 110. The only regret I have is that I didn't go with a faster twist. Bullet selection is REALLY limited in my opinion. I also had to modify the mag lips to feed properly, that straight case did not like the factory magazine design. This 110 is the short magazine style, originally chambered in .243 Win. which is probably where my problem stemmed.

The 6mmAI is a bad *** cartridge, I started shooting 85grn Nosler partitions thinking it would be fur friendly, it is.... sometimes :rolleyes: I've shot probably 100 jackrabbits with that combo & it ain't pretty. I did see a badger taken with it though, at about 80 yards, frontal shot & it didn't exit.

With it's sharp should & long neck, the 6mmAI should have great bbl life for a high performance 6mm. The only thing I would change is the twist rate.

Hope that helps.

I have a 1-12" twist 6mmAI built on a Savage 110. The only regret I have is that I didn't go with a faster twist. Bullet selection is REALLY limited in my opinion. I also had to modify the mag lips to feed properly, that straight case did not like the factory magazine design. This 110 is the short magazine style, originally chambered in .243 Win. which is probably where my problem stemmed.

The 6mmAI is a bad *** cartridge, I started shooting 85grn Nosler partitions thinking it would be fur friendly, it is.... sometimes :rolleyes: I've shot probably 100 jackrabbits with that combo & it ain't pretty. I did see a badger taken with it though, at about 80 yards, frontal shot & it didn't exit.

With it's sharp should & long neck, the 6mmAI should have great bbl life for a high performance 6mm. The only thing I would change is the twist rate.

Hope that helps.

Mr. Ackley did a whole family of improved cases off the 7x57 family. All were similar, but in different caliber out to .338. The 7x57AI is probably the best of the lot, but the 30x57AI has always caught my eye. I may build a 30x57AI one of these days just to see how good I can make it shoot.
gary

I have a .244 Ak. I load the 105-107 bullets. Have shot it in a 1K match, very accurate. Sits in a A-5 stock with a NXS on top. Fireformed from 6mm Rem case. Like it!
db

I had kevin cram build me a 6 mm cm .. I havent run it through the chrono yet but its got the faster twist for 115 burgers. Suppost to be able to throw them 3150to 3200 fps ..i havent run the chrono yet ill let u know what i end up with later.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.