Anyone running an 8 twist .30 ?

WeiserBucks

Im thinking of going with an 8 vs 10 twist on my next barrel. Will be using 215s at the minimum and experimenting with the heavier options also . The Smith has both 8 and 10 in stock so that's not an issue. Any input would be appreciated.

Sounds like a fun project! I'd likely go with the 8" regardless, but what's the rest of the project look like?

I think 8" would allow you to use all the heavy .30's, with really no down side.

I agree about 8 twist that way you can shoot any weight. I have
gone to 8 on many bbl. and they do great from 6mm to 7mm and all is well.

I have a 9 twist Bartlein 5R heavy palma on my .308. I use it for f-class target, and shoot the 225 eldm out of it. And being a .308 it only shoots them at 2530 fps. Shoots them very well and still has a .752 bc even going this slow.
When I was building this the guys I talked to that shoot a lot, and build a lot did not recommend going with an 8 twist, he said the all it would do is put more torque into the gun. And make it harder to stay on target and shoot.

I ordered a bartlien med palma 1-8 twist barrel, was gonna go with a 1-9, but my smith said he has had better results with 1-8. The wait is killing me. I can't wait to either try those new berger 245's or maybe try the hammer 227gr pills. Exciting things should happen.

I ordered a bartlien med palma 1-8 twist barrel, was gonna go with a 1-9, but my smith said he has had better results with 1-8. The wait is killing me. I can't wait to either try those new berger 245's or maybe try the hammer 227gr pills. Exciting things should happen.

Very nice.

I have a 1-7.5 twist AM .308 5r 32" barrel on order from Bartlien as well. Cant wait to get it so the smith get it ready.

We have a RUM in 8" twist 30" for our 227g Hammer Hunter. Last summer I loaded it with the 181g Hammer Hunters for a show we participated in. No down side running the lighter bullet with the fast twist.

Steve

I may have my current 1:10 lija set back for a 300WM or Nosler and an new gain twist chambered for my 300AX. Supposedly the 3 groove lija's Are a bit rough on jackets so maybe a 1:9 5R Bartlien would be better for what I want with the next 245 Berger and some of the heavy solids.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.