Anyone running a 257 Bob Ackley?

Darryle

Curious about optimum barrel length and these new 133gr and 135gr Bergers?

I am intrigued by this offering and I just happen to have a Tikka donor action that needs a purpose. Thinking something like a #3 or possibly a 3b.

Thanks

I am intrigued by this offering and I just happen to have a Tikka donor action that needs a purpose. Thinking something like a #3 or possibly a 3b.

Thanks
The optimum barrel depends on your intended purpose target vs hunting) and preference (portability/maneuverability in the woods/suppressed vs open country LRH/S). You need to find the best compromise for your intended purpose. Good luck.

The optimum barrel depends on your intended purpose target vs hunting) and preference (portability/maneuverability in the woods/suppressed vs open country LRH/S). You need to find the best compromise for your intended purpose. Good luck.
I woul think if you are going 25 cal with heavy bullets , you probably are looking for velocity, with that assumption I would stay 24 too 26 in . I just built a 25-284 with a 25 in 1-8 twist with no heavier than a 117 gr mono . I would think a 25 or 26 1-7 twist would get you good Vel and stability with those heavier bullets.

I woul think if you are going 25 cal with heavy bullets , you probably are looking for velocity, with that assumption I would stay 24 too 26 in . I just built a 25-284 with a 25 in 1-8 twist with no heavier than a 117 gr mono . I would think a 25 or 26 1-7 twist would get you good Vel and stability with those heavier bullets.
That's why I asked the OP because I do not want to assume or speculate anything. I have a .257 WBY with 22" 1:7" suppressed specifically built for the 131s, 133s/135s, and 145s.

I am a long barrel guy, I don't care about suppressors. The local gunsmith has a bartlein 3 or 3b 257 barrel with a 7 twist he bought for a different customer that he said I could have for cost if he did the work.

I received the 25-280 Ackley reamer for my next build on Friday and have quite a collection of Berger 133gr and 135gr hunting bullets.

I was just toying with the idea of using this Tikka to make a Bob Ackley for the girlfriend, anything to get her to sell that **** Mossberg Patriot 7mm-08. It shoots everything so so, usually about 1.5" at 100

This is becoming a prevalent question these days, not just about the .25 caliber selections but others as well.

Optimum is a difficult concept to assess when it involves the bullet, powder selection and the barrel performance. There can be, as in this situation, 3 different bullets and numerous barrel lengths. I've found as many as 4 powders which perform quite well in several cartridges shooting the .25 caliber heavy for caliber bullets. I shoot all three currently but since Sierra is throttling the Blackjack, I will eventually run out of these.

I balance the powder selection against the barrel length. Slightly faster powders for shorter barrels and slightly slower powders with longer barrels. When I stick with an 'average' length barrel such as a 24" sporter, I can actually use the .25-06 AI, .257 Roberts Improved, and the .25-284 with the same powder and achieve the same velocity using that same powder in all three. In essence, the .25-06 AI has a little too much capacity for that 24" barrel while the .257 Roberts Improved is just about the volume necessary to deliver the velocity and energy necessary for the hunt.

I wouldn't be too overly concerned with the barrel length as long as you don't get too short unless using a suppressor. The average barrels these days for hunting usually run 22" and 24" where most factory manufacturing opts for the shorter length in order to save a few pennies. Personally, in a hunting rifle, I would use the #3 Bartlein.

I have a competition barrel chambered for the .25 WSSM which is 30" in length. It works great for a little less recoil and still achieve the velocity for 600 - 1,000 yards targets.

Enjoy your project!

:)

Until a few minutes ago, I didn't know we had a dedicated 1/4 bore forum.

I am thinking about starting with a 26" length and seeing what it will do, if it's unwieldy I will chop it to 24".

Now to hunt around for a 7 twist #3 contour barrel.

Thanks guys!

That's why I asked the OP because I do not want to assume or speculate anything. I have a .257 WBY with 22" 1:7" suppressed specifically built for the 131s, 133s/135s, and 145s.
I don't care what you asked him , I was trying too answer his question , I guess he made it clear on my assumption , have a good day Mr Fennix.

Maybe I'm missing something here the OP made a post about a optimal barrel length , you posted your post , then I posted my post in reference too his post , so how did I quote your post . Maybe I'm posting wrong educate me. If I'm doing something wrong I stand too be corrected.

Maybe I'm missing something here the OP made a post about a optimal barrel length , you posted your post , then I posted my post in reference too his post , so how did I quote your post . Maybe I'm posting wrong educate me. If I'm doing something wrong I stand too be corrected.
I guess I should have posted under the OP s post , I thought some of this posting can be sorted out as it's read , I'll try and do better next time , my apologies.

I appreciate everyone's input, that's what is great about this forum, the depth of knowledge.

I spoke to the local gunsmith about a month ago, now I can't reach him. He doesn't answer or return texts. I drove by his shop and there was a closed sign on the door.

So, now I get to hunt down a fast twist barrel, someone mentioned on another thread that a Light Palma actually works out to be lighter or as light if you flute heavily. I guess I need to look into that.

Saw a thread on 24hr by Charlie Sisk, granted it was from 2002, but he did a velocity versus barrel length on the 257 Roberts for one, but several others as well. As much as I want a 26" barrel, seems like a 24" would be a good starting point.

D4201BC0-4D58-47B9-AB49-E7CEB4CAF79E.jpeg