Anyone running a 257 Bob Ackley?

24" was the sweet spot for that twist, bullet and powder combination…. As they say "your mileage may vary". Sounds like a cool project but I'm a 25 cal fan. I have a standard Roberts and a 25-284, considering a fast twist 25 PRC build. I don't think you can go wrong in the 22-26" range.

Historic development:

1664467315037.png

Something to be aware of. The development by Remington and Winchester resulted in the COAL being limited to 2.775" or just fitting into the short action magazines. Check your throat and leade dimensions before you order a reamer.

My reamer is set up to use the Defiance MX box dimensions or a maximum of 3.200" interior box length since I intend to only use the 131, 133 and 135 grain bullets. It's also an Ackley Improved design. Your Tikka action will serve quite well for this longer version.

1664467882478.png

Enjoy the process!

:)

Personally, I would use the Tikka even though I'm not a great advocate for those actions. It solves all the dimension problems that short actions supply as compromises and you have one in your hands. The Tenacity with the DBM is a nice set up in my opinion, it's (DBM or M5) is what I use for nearly all builds.

The simple solution is to make a 'pros and cons' list with both actions in hand. Then sleep on it. I still find I make better decisions after letting the question(s) sit over night!:eek:

Enjoy the process!

:)