Anyone running <130gr Varmint loads out of 20in 308?

Morse Industries

Official LRH Sponsor
I just picked up a Howa M1500 Chassis rifle in 308 to run suppressed for varmints. Its a 1;10 twist and I want to try loading up some light weight vmax/nosler or similar for over 3000fps. Has anyone done this? I know 3000fps will happen easily out of a 24in but not sure on the 20.

Any input to get me started to save lots of time would be appreciated.

I have 2x other M1500 action rifles that shoot under .5moa all day but those are running long for caliber ELR type setups.... Never tried loading a 300yard laser round before

I have a 21 1/2" barrel 308 Win and I have two do most anything I will hunt loads. Deer size game get 125 Nosler ballistic tips, 46 grs. IMR 4895, Winchester case, CCI BR2 primer, and varmints get 125 Speer TNT with same load. This runs 3000 fps in my rifle and bug hole accuracy. The 125 BT is a great deer size bullet as long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps. The TNT is a scatter pieces groundhog bullet. As far as it being a 300 yards laser depends on your definition. Short light bullets loose velocity quick. I have my rifle sighted to hit 3" high at 100 yards and at 300 yards it is below point of aim 3ish" depending on the bullet. BT shoots flatter than TNT a little.

Tag. I have some 110gr v-max I've been curious to try. I've wondered how they'd be on fur? It's easier (and more economical) to reach for the .223, so that's what I typically do.

Given the short barrel, (mine's 18.5" 1:12) I thought it wise to choose a quicker powder - mainly to reduce the 'flame thrower' and obnoxious muzzle blast. I'm all ears for something between Varget and Blue Dot)

H322 looks like near perfect case fill...

H4198?
I3031?

Thanks!

Don't know how fur friendly 110 Vmax might be but around 37 years ago I used the Sierra 110 Varmint in a 30-06 Mark X Mauser, only rifle I owned at the time, to shoot a few ground hogs and it made a mess out of them. Can't remember the load of IMR 4064 or what the velocity would have been but it was an accurate load and shot really flat out to a little over 200 yards which is about as far away as the fields in the mountains of WV allowed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.