Anyone reloading 17 Hornet?

therifleman556

Thought about getting one of the Ruger 77/17s in the Hornet (unless someone makes flush fit Hornet mags for the CZ).
How hard is it to reload for these little cases? I've heard folding necks can be an issue but that the 17 had thicker necks to address this. I also thought of trying IMR Trail Boss to drop the speed for when lower noise or range is desired, kind of like an HMR but reloadable.
Thoughts?

I know the bottom metal is a avalible, and I believe someone out there has converted flush mags for the CZ hornet, but flush mag or not, all around CZ is a better gun

I just read up on that. Apparently that service isn't offered on Hornet based rounds due to more plastic in the magazines. I think either will be more accurate than I can shoot. I'm more so looking for opinions on how hard (or not) it is to load and if anyone has expiramented with "light" loads.

have both, hat the Ruger first. just got the CZ last week so i haven't done anything with it. it is a much better choice than the Ruger just from handling it. the Ruger i have will shoot just under an inch.

I've got the Ruger in 22 Hornet. Great little round, and I do reload the 22, so I can't comment on the 17.

On the 22, yes the brass is really thin, but just have to be careful with it. My Ruger shoots half inch groups at 100.

I have one in the CZ 527. Shoots factory 20 grain v-max at .5 moa @ 3700 fps. I load the 20's with AA2200 on a Dillon with no problems. I have smashed a few necks when seating a bullet (thin brass) probably my fault for not lining up bullet correctly. Neck size or barely bump shoulder and brass should last several loadings. I like the Hornady dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.