Anyone recognize this Redfield 3-9

Shane Lindsey

Greetings,
Picked this up today. It's a Redfield 3-9x40. It has aa adjustable turret that is marked up to 6. The reticle is fine with two horizontal crosshairs way up at the top of it.

Just curious if anyone has seen this or used it. Kind of a neat vintage looking lower end varmint scope.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 81
Redfield 5 star, accutrac with accurange reticle. This is essentially the same variable scope they used for the USMC M40 sniper rifle (this is a commercial version of scope) The added one cap adjustable elevation knob was a "custom shop" option. Some models came with a two-stage multi-knob option to match to the round. It was a very high end variable scope for its time...rugged, repeatable and dependable. Everything the USMC demanded in a variable scope.

Depending on condition, these scopes are in demand for reproduction builds of the USMC M40 sniper rifles and in some circles bring $500

They are a solid, old school variable scope.

Here is another thread from another forum, with discussion.

http://m14forum.com/optics/114105-redfield-3x9-scope-military.html

This one has only one of the turrets "A" I believe. I shot it on the rifle and it seems to hold zero under 308 recoil. The tombstone is only visible on 3 power and only the letter 2 of it. I think it may be broken inside so the ranging function may not work anymore. With the turret on there I get 9.25 MOA of elevation.

The glass is pretty dark and seems to get "cloudy" as it shoots. Maybe from heat coming off the barrel. Still need to shoot it some more but I like it and it may stay on the rifle.

Unfortunately I do not see a serial number on it so can't find out too much about it.

Shane

if it says made in denver there is a company that repairs them. perhaps google. i have gotten two of them on older rifles that i bought and i think the springs for the windage and elevation were bad on both but never sent one for repair.

Greetings,
Picked this up today. It's a Redfield 3-9x40. It has aa adjustable turret that is marked up to 6. The reticle is fine with two horizontal crosshairs way up at the top of it.

Just curious if anyone has seen this or used it. Kind of a neat vintage looking lower end varmint scope.

Thanks

It is from the original Redfield Company (there were several retries when the original went TU).

It is a "5 Star Accurange". It was the top of the Redfield hunting scope line.
When you turn the elevation turret, a little wedge appears in the lower part of the field (around 4 o'clock). It has numbers from 200 to 400 (or 500). You read the range by the lower number at the edge of the field.

The reticle is made of two horizontal lines that are "22 inches" apart, meaning that you bracket the body of a deer (or a coyote from foot to back) between the two lines and you read the number that appears in the lower, 4 o'clock position of the field.

They were popular in the 60's and a few were made in green and sent to Viet Nam.

They were very good scopes for the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.